View Single Post

Thread: Looking for other gamers opinions

1. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Looking for other gamers opinions

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    1) Would requiring lots of dice (at least in mid and high level play) per roll make you less likely to play the game. If not, would you change that opinion if another method of generating a similar bell curve without requiring physical dice was presented with it?
    I'm really not sure. DnD has a point of having a single d20 do a lot of the heavy lifting, but on the other hand White Wolf has a success system based on rolling handfuls of d10s. So long as the system is relatively streamlined in terms of die use (eg. d20 systems focussing on the d20 for most things, d6 systems the same with d6, etc.) it'll keep out confusion and make it easier to play. In a similar vein, try to establish trends and keep to them.

Every moment spent looking up rules for various circumstances is a moment spent in frustration, after all.

2) Do you feel that the game mechanics should support Multiple Stat Dependency to minimize 'min/maxing'? If so, do you feel that the Multiple Stat Dependency should be relatively equal among the characters/classes, without a way to make a character dependent on only a single stat?
    Proper stat weighting goes a long way towards avoiding excessive min-maxing. Make it difficult to obviate the need for statistics - maybe tie more to stats and then use class stat dependencies to tip the balance in one way or another?

3) Would having a 'point buy' type system for stat generation be something that would make the game more appealing, or would it detract from the game?
    This is one of those love or hate things. Depends on the statistical equilibrium for the base stats, really. Stat rolling is probably best left as a 'variant option' in most cases, for the people who enjoy that sort of thing.

4) Would having broad, general classes representing general archetypes that can be further customized through character creation and development be a bonus, or would it be something that would make you less likely to play? If less likely, would you rather a 'classless' system (like GURPS) or would you prefer something with more rigid classes (like D&D)?
    Eh, pros and cons to either. I've personally had it with DnD Classes (Augh-head-hurty trying to combine classes to get what I want), but too much in the way of fiddly makes it Augh-head-hurty in the other direction. I like the nWoD 'class system', personally. Plenty of options, but with a framework that gives you some nice 'guidelines' to help you along.

5) Would you be upset if there was no multiclassing/duo-classing? How about if the classes were flexible enough that you could eventually get at least proficient in nearly anything, if you really wanted to?
    Eh, flexible is never bad. I prefer Lego to Play-Dough, though. (Play-dough is infinitely flexible, but Lego's building blocks make it a lot easier to make what you want)

6) Would you like a rich, in-depth world pre-created (for example, releasing the Forgotten Realms world-book along with the Core rules), or would you prefer it to 'keep it simple' and release just game mechanics? If you would like the world pre-created, would you like it in a single, massive book, or would you like the Rulebook, then the Worldbook released simultaneously (likely with a 'package deal'), or would you like to get just the Rulebook out the door fastest, then release the Worldbook some six months to a year later?
    Have you got a rich, in-depth world? Because if you have, write it down. The best systems have at least some world depth to work from. I mean, sure, it's dead weight to a fully fledged world builder and DM, but weaving a good tapestry will set minds swimming with ideas.

7) Would you be upset if the rulebook(s) only came in digital format, perhaps with software bundled to make it easier to use (such as dice generator, mapper, and other gaming software), if it meant the rulebook was MUCH less expensive (around $10.00 USD vs $40-$50 for a physical book)?
    Call me old fashioned, but there's something I've always preferred about a good old book. Not that you shouldn't try to sell digital anyway - it's basically free for you, isn't it?

8) Would you be upset if the rulebook had some form of DRM software which prevented it from being copied more than once, but would allow it to be moved around (so you could put it on your zip drive and bring it to your friend's house, and keep a backup copy at home. You could even let your friend borrow the zip drive, or move the file from the zip drive to HIS computer, but could not cop/paste it to his computer)?
    Really a bad idea. A lot of people have strong feelings on this sort of thing (I don't like it either), and all you'll do is drive off a bunch of potential customers for your trouble at best. At worst, you'll get painted as some kind of jackass by people against such intrusive DRM. Not worth the time, money, or effort - doesn't matter if you're right or wrong, if you get demonised, you get demonised.

Just protect the file or something, minor stuff everybody expects anyway.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2009-05-19 at 04:16 AM.