Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
Aha! The whale-ship-things!

I still don't agree that it's a pure fantasy though. It's certainly not sci-fi, but it's also not fantasy. Also, the Science = scifi, Magic = Fantasy thing is a fallacy if ever I've heard one. If a Science fiction had an alien race that obviously used magic, it would still be science fiction. If a fantasy used an alien race invasion as a plotline, it'd probably still be fantasy. The key is not to go into depth about the other element. You can still have them there, taking a technical 'middle ground' whilst presenting yourself as being on one side or the other.

Edit: Would Stargate become fantasy if the gate was a magical travel device like TJH intead of a Wormhole-manipulator-doohicky? I'm tempted to say yes, given that it would probably become a modern fantasy, but what if the planets were still planets and the aliens were still aliens?
You do know that there's been made international rules for what is needed for something to be science fiction don't you (there''s made rules like this for all genres) They state that science fiction has to be in the future of the time it was wrote and a possible one (given the beliefs of the tie of course, else most of the stuff would change genre because it's proven wrong) so nope none of this could be Science fiction (magic is impossible)
I can't remember what fantasy needs but I'm pretty sure aliens are allowed (I think that there's something with mystical/magical creatures that aliens can be, like in EGS)