View Single Post

Thread: 4e- Divine Power!

1. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 4e- Divine Power!

I got mine at a midnight release, so I've had a chance to read through a couple times now. I like a lot of the book, but I was disappointed with some things.

Most notably, the Avenger PP's are a bit schizophrenic, as if some of them were written by people without a firm grasp of how the class works, and some of them are just mechanically bad. Someone seems to have gotten hung up on certain mechanics and there's a lot of overlap in the abilities (tons of self healing and self damaging, with one PP having a cripplingly awful utility power that deals 3d6 damage to YOU whenever someone hits your Oath target, and two more with utilities from other PP's that damage you if you miss).

Also, Strength based clerics are going to be miffed once again. While there is a lot more support power wise, out of the 10 PP's in the book for clerics, only 2 of them have Strength based powers, and one of them requires you to be a Dwarf. Considering that none of the PP's in the PHB support Str clerics either, it's pretty clear that the build is not favored by the designers.

On the upside, domains are neat, it is now possible to build a cleric who never directly deals damage, and there are some really cool Paragons and ED's for everyone else. Overall not a bad purchase, but not everything I was hoping for.

Edit: On the subject of funny ability names, with the way the naming scheme for domain feats work, there is now an official ability called "The Power of Love." I enjoyed that.
    Last edited by Grynning; 2009-07-21 at 02:35 PM.
    My friend and I have a blog, we write D&D stuff there: http://forgotmydice.com/

Comedian avatar by The_Stoney_One

A Guide to Commonly Misunderstood 5th Edition Rules