Quote Originally Posted by The_JJ View Post
Ah I see.

I must now go punish my lazy farmer, who spent most of the early season sleeping and drinking.
I set my farmers to only do tasks related to farming and not hauling wood or stone or any of that other stuff the peasants do.

Currently I am building a fortress into the side of a volcano on an island. There are some trees thankfully and I lucked upon an underground freshwater pool right under my build site.

The only bad thing is I have only found malachite (for copper) and native aluminum. I guess I am going to have to buy some bauxite and start a magma forge eventually too.

My new fortress is my first attempt at a retracting bridge 'airlock'. Between the fortress and the cavern with my trade depot is a pit I dug with a retracting bridge between, then between the trade depot 'island' and the front entrance is another retracting bridge. This way I can retract the one between my fortress and the depot for security, but leave the outside to depot one in place. Once the caravan is all in I retract the outer bridge and extend the inner one to have safe access to the depot. I did this with an above ground fortress I made with classic drawbridges as well.