View Single Post

Thread: My Experiences as a Truenamer

1. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: My Experiences as a Truenamer

OH GODS. Sorry for double post here, but this thread straight up UNLEASHED my floodgates on the subject.

1. Hitting your truespeak DCs are not hard past about 5th level. Even upwards to the 20th level mark, hitting those DCs for the first of the day should be almost 100%, if not above.

Just as an example. Using point buy, get yourself a 16 intelligence. Up that 18 by level 8. If you are playing a race that gets a +2 to intelligence (I would), that puts it at a 20. Get at LEAST a +2 to intelligence item. That puts you at a 22 intelligence.

Assume now you are level 10. This would put you at 13 ranks in Truespeak. Get a Greater Amulet of the Silver Tongue for a +10 bonus. Take skill focus for a +3. Add in your +6 from intelligence and you have a +32. The DC to cast anything on a level equivalent party member is 35. That's a 3 or better. On yourself, a 1 is still a success. Granted, it gets harder the more times you cast it during one day, but you have so many to choose from, it's doubtful you'll run that Law of Resistance up high enough to be annoying.

Even at level 20, the DC for an equivalent character is only 55. At that point, you could theoretically have an intelligence of 34 with stat increases, +6 headband, and books/wishes, giving you a bonus of +12, Truespeak rank 23, Amulet +10, Skill focus +3 for a bonus of +48. And that's just off the top of my head. I saw even higher bonuses than that a few posts ago, and this doesn't take into account item familiar, DM fiat allowing you to increase the Silver Tongue amulet... Getting another 7 or more +'s shouldn't be that hard.

2. The only utterances that get harder as you level up are the first tier utterances that you cast on people. The second tier get harder in that you should be encountering more magic items, but the third tier pretty much stay at DC 25 the whole time. Quicken one of those every round, cast a normal utterance as your standard.

EDIT I just read the part about the errata here, though I don't know the specific rules. We always just treated an area as a nonmagical item i.e. DC 25 to cast. True...it gets a little cheesy at the more powerful area utterances (how many Earthquakes can one cast in a day??!?!?!), but hey, I'm the player. Easy DC's don't hurt my feelings.

3. Those last tier utterance become pretty cool if you metatruespeak homebrew the other metamagic feats in. I personally like an empowered and maximazed energy vortex with a solid fog plopped on top for good measure. That's a decent amount of pain to a few people before they can escape. Especially if you allow the 'Acid Fog' houserule I made. DC 25 is a fog cloud, DC 35 is solid fog, DC 45 is Acid Fog.

4. Also, a Truenamer will be able to cast more spells in one day than a wizard and a sorcerer combined. They aren't the most powerful spells in the world, but used properly, they can really throw your DM off balance and turn a battle greatly in your favor. Can't hit that high CR monster with a Truespeak check? Throw a Strike of Might on your heavy hitter, give him a random extra attack in the middle of your turn, haste him, or hell, just Fast Healing the crap outta your party. You're like a bard, but less spoony.
    Last edited by Gan The Grey; 2009-08-27 at 06:35 AM.