1. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [AD&D] Rules questions (my players stay out, I don't want you knowing too much)

Quote Originally Posted by Thelas View Post
    Just answer whatever you can, please. (The module is 2nd ed, but we're playing OSRIC and I was told that they're close enough to not matter).
    Correct.

Q. A poison mentions "Str 30/2d6". What does that mean? I assume not the same as in 3.5, but...
    A. Its the strength of damage. failed save is 30 HP, passed save is 2d6.

Q. A sword is mentioned as a sword +1, +3 vs. lycanthropes and shape changers that is "treated as a normal weapon against vampires". Does this mean a sword +1 against them, a masterwork sword (are those even in AD&D?), or as a mundane sword?
    A. Ordinarily it is a +1 sword. Versus shapechangers it is +3, versus Vampires it is treated as non-magical (meaning it cannot hurt them)

Q. Just as a reminder: please confirm that 2 ep = 1 gp, and that 5 sp = 1 ep.
    A. Yes, but in first edition 20 SP = 1 GP.

Q. What exactly is ML, anyways?
    A. Morale

Q. "SD +1 needed to hit" means "at least a +1 magical weapon needed to inflict damage upon", right?
    A. Yes.

Q. What does "MR special" mean?
    A. Some sort of Magic Resistance that is not expressed as a percentage.

Q. The module says "a magical dagger +2, Vampire Slayer. When this special dagger strikes a vampire, its blade will turn to wood." Is this a good thing, and if so, how? If not, is it some sort of curse or something?
    A. Possibly it means instant death for the vampire as it is a "stake"; could just be flavour text, though.

Q. What are the different classes of poison?
    A. A through P, basically different strengths of damage. In first edition it was pretty much always instant death/save or die.

Q. How do you calculate THAC0 based off of 1st ed/OSRIC tables?
    A. Look along the AC 0 row and compare to level. So, if you have a level 1 fighter, you would cross reference and find "20". However, some very low powered creatures will have an effective THAC0 of 21 because of the repeating 20s rule.

Q. Explain "Ravenloft powers check"s, "Horror checks", and all similar things... (Why does WotC publish these modules for free on their site with no explanations?)
    A. Hmmn; have to take a look, get back to you on this.

Q. How do you run combats with 180 skellies or ridiculous numbers like that? I definitely don't have that many minis, that's for sure.
    A. See other thread.

Q. I know Ravenloft is supposed to terrify, confuse, and play on the players; fears (*evil DM laugh*), but this module's confusing me. Any help?
    What is the difference between 'goblins' and 'goblyns'?
    A. No idea; possibly nothing. I will have a look and get back to you. [edit] They are detailed in the appendix of the adventure, and appear to be a variation on the standard goblin.

Q. "The land will do all that it can to..." Sentient land? Did I fail my Knowledge (AD&D Campaign Setting) check? [And yes, I know they didn't have those back in AD&D days]. Can someone give me a +10 circumstance bonus and a retry on the check? (As in, can I have useful information?)
    A. Yeah, Ravenloft domains are bizarre. Not sure what it can do, have to take a look at the module.

Q. Where can I find stats for magic items not statted out in the module?
    A. Probably in the OSRIC magic item appendix. If not, they may be particular to a supplement like Tome of Magic.

Q. "Int Very" means "Very High Int", right?
    A. Yes, here is the range:

0 Nonintelligent or not rateable
    1 Animal intelligence
    2-4 Semi-intelligent
    5-7 Low intelligence
    8-10 Average (human) intelligence
    11-12 Very intelligent
    13-14 Highly intelligent
    15-16 Exceptionally intelligent
    17-18 Genius
    19-20 Supra-genius
    21+ Godlike intelligence
    Last edited by Matthew; 2009-09-26 at 08:27 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)