1. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Opposing group needed for high level wizards

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    But not pitchforks and fire. And swords from the local militia. Not to mention that old guy in the back who has his grandad's Enchantment-breaking Wizard-slaying sword left over from the two Witch Hunts they had a while back...Even if you do manage to kill them all, the big bad good Warforged Paladin (named RoboCob, for some reason ), smashes you to pieces for killing all the townsfolk.

Anyway, you need to be Level 4 to have that spell (and Level 6 for Fireball), at least. You have to actually live that long to even get to Level 4. The common wizard who is fifteen or so, just learning his magic, wont have that. And, since in my world, just about every scroll ever seen is burned. A Wizard usually has a tough time finding spells to write down, and rarely, does he manage to have a spell he actually wants...

Anyone caught writing magic down and trying to control it (having a Spellbook, which wizards need) is dead. In my world, a wizard wouldn't make it past level 2 before he's killed. Most of them get killed at 'level 0'.

It's how I can tell my PCs "You can't be wizards..." and feel fully justified. And, is a good reason the two or three Wizards who are actually considered 'powerful' in my world have absolutely zero actual power. Which is what the OP is looking for.

They stay away from people. And don't. Do. Anything.
    SO let me get this traight:
    1. Magic is punishable by death
    2. Warforged (magical constructs only repairably by magic) are somehow ok
    3. The violent mob burning innocents women at the stake is "innocent"
    and
    4. Killing them in self defense gets the wrath of the paladins on your head.?

Besides all of that, you seem to have homebrewed a wizard/sorcerer hybrid thing.
    A sorcerer gets its powers in puberty, it needs no books, scrolls, or teachers, it just has power.
    A wizard does not have their "powers awaken", they don't have any. They have years of training and knowledge which they apply with magical formulae.
    At level 11 a wizard can learn to permanent some spells, like detect magic and tongues, only then does he have "powers" that all "mages" do in traditional fantasy. (aka, the ability to sense "magic" about things... no, you aren't born with it, you NEED to cast a SPELL, detect magic, to do so).

you also apply the policy against magic to the ENTIRE WORLD. thats not believable, especially in a world with no high tech.

It really makes more sense to just use DM fiat and say "there are no wizards"... Magic is limited to magical races (say, dragons), if a human wants to use it he finds himself drained to death in a few spells. OR he has to seek another source of power... Say, human sacrifices... which is evil, which gives a legitimate excuse to hunt down wizards and to not be one.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-09-27 at 03:45 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.