Quote Originally Posted by Diamondeye View Post
Here's what to do:

1. Dispense with racial level limits completely
sure, we discussed giving humans a +10% already
2. Dispense with dual-classing
why? I rather like the flavor that demihumans get multiclassing and humans get dual-classing. I would dispense with the ability score requirements to dual-class.
3. Allow humans to multi-class into ANY combination listed
Flavor. I used this for a while, I had a paladin/magic-user. I can't say it really made sense though.
4. Allow clerics, fighters, and rogues of any race
Unearthed Arcana already made that official
5. If using Unearthed Arcana, have all Cavaliers start at 1st level; don't randomly roll for social class and base starting on that. Remove their 3-hp bonus at level one too.
I don't use 'em, but when I did I started them at level -2 and that worked fine
6. Start bards as bards. Use the Rogue table for attack rolls. Progress their theif abilities as if they were 1/2 their level, rounding down (in other words no thief skills at level 1)
There's a start-from-first bard in Dragon Magazine that rocks
7. Don't use psionics
I know many people find them complicated and unbalancing, but I love 'em
8. Remove the Paladin total item owned restriction, or else base it on religion and order and give some other benefit in place of it.
No need, just say only permanent items are restricted, so the paladin can have as much magical ammunition, potions, protective scrolls as he wants
9. Speaking of Paladins, use the PHB version. Don't put them under Cavalier, or, if you do, allow both versions since the UA Cavalier/Paladin is essentially impossible to qualify for
agreed
10. Give Magic-users and Illusionists bonus spells based on INT as per the cleric bonus spell based on WIS table
that's a little too generous, I do one bonus 1st with 15 int, a bonus 2nd with 16, a bonus 3rd with 17, and a bonus 4th with 18
11. Remove the "maximum spells in book according to INT" table for magic-users
why?
12. Restrict Rangers to Chainmail or lighter armor and allow them to Move Silently and Hide in Shadows as if they were thieves.
Sounds like a 2E influence, and 2E lost sight of the classes' reason for being: Aragorn. Aragorn wore plate at the final battle in LOTR.
13. Increase Crossbow damage considerably, possibly 1d10 for light and 1d12 for heavy against all opponents
I use the crossbow damage listed in the 2E book PC&T
14. Don't use weapon vs. armor type; it's a pain in the ass.
I love it.
Btw, great to see all the old edition talk on these forums recently!