I've actually been thinking about this a bit today, as I want a distinctive "home base" tavern for the PCs in a low-level, Waterdeep-specific game I'm running now. Something in the Dock quarter preferably, but it shouldn't be very rough, as the PCs are mostly white collar workers.

Cityscape Pgs. 44-45 lists lots of activities and their associated rules for taverns, such as drinking games, feats of accuracy (darts), games of chance, making friends, telling stories, listening to music/tales, picking pockets, and, of course, getting drunk.

It also has a cool list of sample tavern names on Pg. 44. Eerily enough, one listed is the 'Angry Owlbear', which bears an uncanny resemblance to the main tavern in a few campaigns that I and two other DMs in my group ran, which was 'The Boorish Owlbear.'

The Boorish Owlbear

A large, drafty inn run by a surly fat man, the Boorish Owlbear is a loud, happening place popular among adventurers. It features momentos from various quests, including the stuffed and well-worn owlbear in the corner furthest from the fire. This was the home of the Company of the Boorish Owlbear (1 group), as well as the namesake for HMS Boorish Owlbear (another group).