Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Supagoof, the euro bottomed out at $0.70 or so in '02. Right now, the euro is worth a tad more than double that. Vacation in USD zones.

Ah. This one kitchen was meant to serve eighty dorm rooms, of which 90% were doubles. Even serving my conscientious dorm (1 sink, 20 rooms, no space to dry dishes because someone else got there first, even at 4AM), it didn't see much use.

The lack of microwave capacity is a bummer. That and the kettle combined are surprisingly versatile for food prep. (Adding in a toaster-oven would complete the set nearly, but those definitely draw too much power.)
Ah see, my point of reference was friends who just got back from a trip to Ireland, where they spent $12.50 on a McDonalds meal and around here that's typically $5 USD. So not the best measurement of conversion to grade against.

A microwave would be a great commodity, and perhaps this is different for your dorm setup, but most students in the dorms at my campus had 2 things for meals in their rooms. One was a microwave, the other was a mini-fridge. Paid for usually by the parents as part of the college preparation. Though undertandibly I can see how there might be a rule not to allow those things due to power constraints.