Quote Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
Hey guys. So, this is the problem: my players don't know how to roleplay. Maybe one of them knows, but then again, he won't roleplay alone. We were having big problems during gameplay such as characters becoming their players, players never giving a damn about alignment, characters have no goals other than gain huge amounts of gold and XP, they don't care for trivial things that happen beetwen encounters. The solution came from an idea a friend of mine gave me: run a "training" game. So, this is how it'd work out:

- The DM creates the characters, which will include nice backgrounds describing personallity and story.
- Each player is given a character chosen by the DM (or maybe you can let them choose).
- The game will be run normally, but with addo that roleplaying with play a major part in the adventure.

Maybe it'll work. It's more like asking them to roleplay than any other thing, and of course, I'll set an example. I've only got one question, and that is: which starting level would be a good level for a one-afternoon game?
Like the above guy said, railroading usually is pretty bad. Try rewarding people with experience for roleplaying, and cut down on the amount of experience gained from defeating enemies. Not too much, though. Some people just don't like roleplaying, however, and there's just no reason to force them to, though.

By the way, this isn't the right board for this thread. You want the roleplaying games board. This is the homebrew board, where people make things from scratch, and post it for other people to see.