Quote Originally Posted by Weimann View Post
I'd say, just try some freeform RP. Let's do away with the stats all together, just for this once.

What is important is that you inform them about the purpose of this exercise before you perform it; it will give your players a hint about that you really are serious about the roleplaying bit, and it will also give them a chance to take the concepts to heart with a more aware mindset. It can still be in D&D, but they might be commoners.

Ideas for plot hooks:
# A girl is fancying you, but she is also fancying someone else. Try to win her over! (This someone else can be a PC or an NPC, but PC would make for more competition while NPC might encourage cooperation.)
# You have been caught stealing food/silver/weapons/whaeva. Make an appealing case to the court!
# Your friend has just been dumped/fired/experienced a death in the family. Listen to him and comfort him!

Something like that. Things that can't be solved by "I roll this-and-that".

Of course, they might soin off on completely different tangents. They might decide to kill the other suitor (or the girl!) but as long as they do it in character, it's all okay.

If they just don't go for it, just make clear that you don't enjoy the game as it is, and that some RP will ahve to be introduced, or you just don't think it's fun. The game is for all of the group to enjoy, the DM included.
Well observed. I'll let them know of my intentions beforehand. About the hooks, yes they might do very well, althought I think some combat would be good for the mood of the game (and since you can roleplay in combat too). The only reason Im sticking with D&D is that they'll probably refuse to spend time learning a new game.