1. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: [3.5] Can't find class for conman concept

There's a class in the PHB called the Rogue. I'd probably go with that.

But it's easy to tweak things to fit the character you want:

Switch the beguiler or telepath casting stat to charisma. Done.

Or

Trade the bard's music for wizard-rate feat progression, drawn from pool of skill-based feats. Done.
    (Or just use oratory. Fixating and motivating people with your words is exactly what I'd think you'd want to do.)

Or

Trade the rogue's sneak attack for a bluff-based version of the bard's fascinate/suggestion.

Or

Use spellthief or marshal. I think they have appropriate skill lists. They certainly have charisma synergy.

Or

Write up a charismatic swashbuckler based on the rogue class:
    Pull out all the trap abilities and UMD. Drop skills to 4+Int, slow sneak attack to 6d6 at level 20, bump HD up to d8, raise Will and BA to full progressions, add some swift- and immediate-action sleight-of-hand, disarm, fear, parry and feinting abilities and advance them with levels. You should be left with a decent framework for a fitting melee class.

...Rogue/Warlock's okay, but it'll be worse at the "conman" thing (assuming more than a 1-level Warlock dip) and will have less use for charisma than straight rogue.

Daggerspell Mage is nice skill-wise, but it's really squishy for a knife fighter.

Unseen Seer dodges the DM's "stand in the front line with your low ac, weak fortitude and d4 hd" dilemma. Tougher skill requirements, but they're worth it.
    Last edited by rooster; 2009-11-15 at 05:22 AM.