1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [DnD 3.5] Non-Humanoid Race with Bonus Feat: the Sil

Like the title says. I will confess straight away that this race is devised for ignoble purposes: I have a druid build that would greatly benefit from a bonus feat, but I want to use the Fangshields Druid substitutions levels. That said, it doesn't look obviously overpowered to me. Presenting the newly renamed:

Sil
    The sil are an unusual race of fey, bound not to the land but to the shadows cast upon it. Sil are humanoid in shape, resembling short, thin humans, but are a uniform dark grey in colour, like a 3-dimensional shadow.

All sil delight in mimicry. Some simply enjoy repeating words or actions as soon as they are performed, but most take a more long-term approach. Sil will often try to adopt the features of a person they admire, to the extent of taking their name as their own and learning their skills and abilities. They will also sometimes adopt the mannerisms of a culture as a whole. Their features are sufficiently malleable that a sil imitating, say, a half-orc will generally become bulkier and grow tusks, though without heavy makeup could never be mistaken for an actual orc-blood.

Sil Racial Traits
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, sil have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Sil base land speed is 30 feet.
    * Fey: Sil are of the fey type and are therefore not affected by spells such as charm person and hold person. Unlike most fey, they are not automatically proficient with simple weapons.
    * Low-Light Vision: A sil can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    * Ageless: Sil are immune to aging effects, and receive neither bonuses nor penalties for aging.
    * 1 extra feat at 1st level. Sil are highly adaptable.
    * +2 racial bonus on bluff checks. Sil faces are extremely difficult to read.
    * Automatic Language: Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
    * Favored Class: Druid.

Relative to humans, they trade extra skill points, favoured class any, and better languages for the Fey type and the Ageless trait (Honestly, are there any aging spells? I've never seen one. I added it to prevent age-category shenanigans and because I have an odd obsession with immortal characters.).

Is that too powerful? I can see some possible alter self abuse with the type, but it's not like that spell needs my help, and I can't remember ever facing a user of a humanoid-specific spell. I chose fey because I like fey, but maybe another type would be better. Please advise!

EDIT: Gave them a better name, added some fluff, and gave them a skill bonus just for flavour.
    Last edited by Warclam; 2009-11-20 at 02:00 PM.
    My homebrew (that I like enough to sig, anyway):
    Sublime Ranger, Incarnum Paladin

Many thanks to lindorm for the amazing SHODAN-clam avatar!

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!