Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
It is going to be a straight up fight.
By the way, throwing a level+5 elite at a party is slightly outside the bounds of the encounter building guildlines. If the elite happens to be a soldier or brute, that also stretches the guildlines.

On the other hand, a level +5 elite is *2 (elite)*2(+4 levels)*1.2 (+1 level), or (by the rules) about an even-level challenge. But because you are at the edge of the encounter building guildlines, the stability of it will be much crazier.

And if the creature is a MM1elite (or an elite produced by DMG1 templates), things get worse, as defence goes up faster than offence does.

I'd be more comfortable reworking the creature into a level+0 or level+1 solo myself. This would bring the creature's defences down to the point where you aren't overly rewarding "more to-hit bonus" optimisation, reduce the reward for auto-hit powers and the like, and imply a 2 phase fight (pre-bloodied, and a power-up when bloodied). Plus, instead of the creature nearly auto-hitting, the creature would miss about half of the time.

But that is just me.