Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
You've enjoyed his story so far, right? What makes you so sure sure that something he's had planned since pretty much the beginning, which he's decided to keep secret till the climax, is going to be such a disappointment?
After the years of guessing and having fun it with, starting to like it, after everyone has a (more or less) slightly different version of it in his or her mind, the revelation is VERY likely to be a disappointment for many people.

At least those who are not familiar with the fictional work where the monster comes from are likely to be disappointed. For example, it might be the most awesome and fitting revelation of some Final Fantasy Monster (or D&D or Star Wars or Star Trek or... whatever), those who are not familiar with that setting or do not like it for some reason WILL be disappointed.
Unless the revelation comes from some totally accepted pop-culture-thing (which at the moment leaves only Godzilla), the revelation will create disappointment in some way.

It's good Tolkien never revealed Tom Bombadil's true nature.

I'm not saying that the revelation of the MitD will result in a disappointment (for a few or many) or that I do not want it revealed (I want to know, even if I might be disappointed!)
I just say it's, based on the data I have now to estimate this, probable a high percentage will not find the finaly revelation awesome.