Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
I'd heard differently. While I'm not supporting the claim of "All spartan warriors were homo/bi sexual", I do remember reading (in highschool mythology) that homosexual relationships were not uncommon in Sparta. I specifically remember young boys having such relationships with their teachers. Such relationships were permitted as long as the teacher gave gifts to the boy, and it was understood that it would end when the student achieved manhood.
That's Athens. The Spartans made fun of the Athenians for that behavior (and also, didn't have private tutors of that kind anyway - the military training was a different setup).
Now, it's true that >1 century is a long time, and surely there were some points at which the Spartans tolerated homosexuality more or less. But here's the actual evidence:

*Criticism by Philip II of the Spartans for their view that the Sacred Band of Thebes was "disgraceful".
*presence of homosexual acts on many Greek vases, but not on any Spartan vases. (admittedly we have many more Athenian vases than Spartan)
*Xenophon stated that the Spartans were disgusted by the Athenian acceptance of homosexual sex.
*Aristotle claimed that Spartan women had too much political power because the men were so often off at war, and there was no homosexuality to help compensate for that fact (by preserving male political power).