View Single Post

Thread: The 3.5/Pathfinder Handbook

1. - Top - End - #104
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Pathfinder Question

Quote Originally Posted by Gnaeus View Post
    I would say most. I think we get a disproportionate amount of PF hate on boards by their nature.

This is because, in my experience, most of the people who hate PF do so for one of 2 reasons.

1. "Those jerks at paizo don't know their @$$ from a hole in the ground and when I tried to explain how 3.5/their beta was broken they flamed me!"
    or
    2. "PF made (my favorite class/race/thing) too weak/strong and I hate the change."

#1 is true enough, and does involve a reasonable # of the most active forum posters, but not a large % of the overall gaming public

#2 is an opinion and as such is fair. But again, I think few people who otherwise enjoy 3.5 would be unable to have fun in a game using Paizo rules. It really isn't much different from any other set of 3.5 houserules. I mean, if I sat down at a game of 3.5 and they told me that all the druids use the shapeshift variant, I would frown, make a mental note, and play something that wasn't a druid and have fun. Paizo's changes are minor enough that you have to really loathe one of them to not like a game because of it if you are a 3.5 player. Most of the PF games I have played in could have been 3.5 games with rebound books and it wouldn't have altered play at all.
    And group #3, "When WotC asked me to retire my 3.5 books, I politely told them, No Thanks. When Paizo, asks me to do the same, I tell them exact same thing." If the entire game group all has to buy new player's handbooks in order to use the system, then it is too different for me. They can have my 3.5 PHB when they take it from my cold undead hands.

EDIT: Actually, I don't mean hate. More like, disappointed.
    Last edited by pres_man; 2010-02-03 at 04:54 PM.
    Definition of DMPC:
    1: a character that if it was run by a non-DM would be considered a PC; a special kind of Ally (see p. 104 of the 3.5 DMG)
    2: (derogatory) any character used by a DM that disrupts the game
    Need to replace those core 3.5 books, check out Gauric Myths.