View Single Post

Thread: Getting used to 4th edition?

1. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Getting used to 4th edition?

Quote Originally Posted by LurkerInPlayground View Post
    Well here's the main complaint about rituals:

You have to play money and 10 minutes to pick a lock that the Rogue could do for free and at a fraction of the same time. You'd have better luck just trying to pick that lock yourself. Or for that matter, just blasting down the door (at-will powers).

Nor can you do big exciting things that influence the game world but wouldn't necessarily have a lot to do with direct combat. Divination is a good example of this: Except that these spells tend to be hellishly restrictive and/or expensive.

Other good concepts would include things like carving out a tower from the rock face of a mountain. Immortality. Gate and Wish would also work, if their entries were worded properly.

You know, big and important stuff that introduces roleplaying opportunities but doesn't directly influence combat power.
    That's pretty much everybody's complaint about rituals: they make you pay for the privilege of using something that sucks.

I wouldn't want them to put in a Gate- or Wish-type ritual. At all. Ever. It would be pretty much impossible to balance between being brokenly powerful and too limited to be even remotely worthwhile.

Also, Epic Destinies already provide immortality.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2010-02-07 at 01:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!