I mostly agree with BRC's analysis of the public transport system, with a few added notes. Each station would probably make one jump every half hour or so, enough time to get everyone in that needs going in. This means that each station makes 48 jumps per day, 24 in a shiftward rotation and 24 in a homeward rotation. In order for a station to end up in the same place at the same time every day (if that is how it is arranged, and I imagine it is for the benefit of the business owners and their regulars) that means that there need to be 25, 13, 7, or 4 stops along a route (the +1 to the expected values are for "Stop 0"; in order to make 24 jumps, you need 25 stops, since there is one origin point and 24 destinations), as that is the only rotation that will keep it perfectly even. The marker showing where the station is would probably be automatic rather than controlled by hand, to avoid humanoid error.

Other public transport would probably also exist. Privately owned rickshaws and steamcarts hauling people to where they need to go. I imagine that some people would use these more mundane form of transports exclusively for the same reason that some people avoid plane travel. Stations almost never have accidents, but when they do once every few years, it's bad. Sometimes it will be as simple as the spells going wrong and dropping the station into a demiplane for a few hours before it can be rescued by a powerful enough mage. Sometimes a portal opens at the site of a station just as the teleportation happens, causing an effect experts call "trans-spatial rending." Once, the Wild sabotaged the mechanism of teleportation, causing the station to manifest inside of a massive Steamworks generator, killing everyone and causing the generator to explode, destroying an entire block of factories, warehouses, and workers. Like I said, it almost never happens. Once or twice in a decade at most. But when it does? The very thought just scares some people away from the whole thing.

Many commons areas have permanent portals that you can walk through like any other door going to other commons areas. A plaza in the Commons may connect to a plaza in Mithral Heights and a plaza in the Necropolis. The problem is getting an accurate map. With an accurate map and a seasonal pass, you can plaza-hop to your location faster than any other form of travel short of casting Teleport yourself. Some rich people also get teleportation circles installed in their own homes, keeping a small garage of rooms, keyed to certain key sites that they travel to often.

There simply isn't enough free space or vehicular road traffic to make a rail system worth the maintenance.

As for the fire fighters, I am liking it. They would be an interdistrict system like MI and the Streetbuilders, right? I imagine that they would have certain overlapping precincts under their jurisdiction at the center of which would be a station house. I also imagine that members of the Fire Elemental Guard would love to be fire fighters in between deployments. Since most of the guard have natural abilities or personally own items which make them immune to or healed by fire, this would be both a heroic and easy job.

And it's true, the Steamworks have steam power and export it to some other parts of the city. I imagine that they also have gas lines, providing light and heat for a fee. Aside from that, people would certainly buy magic items for a one time fee instead of commissioning a service from others.