Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
I thought it was pretty clear i was talking about others...
I was using a metaphorical "you", not you specifically.

If you torture bob the child rapist to death, you save amber the 9 year old from being raped and murdered by james, because james heard what happened to bob and is too afraid to do so himself.
You saved amber from james. Not saving amber from james because of some flimsy moralistic excuse (torture is always evil) is an evil act in of itself. I wasn't saying that torturing bob will make bob himself reform his ways
You do not have to stoop to that level of force in order to deter a criminal.

And "not saving" anyone is Neutral, not Evil. Yes, caring more about your own skin than someone else's is not Evil.

If you gave bob a second chance and released him on an unsuspecting public and like the other 98% of rapists released from prison he becomes a repeat offender you are DEFINITELY responsible for his victims and you have definitely done evil by releasing him.
You cannot know that Bob will become a repeat offender, and if you have the belief that he might do so, you would not release him in the first place.

EDIT: and doing this sort of evil via an "ignorant" (according to my beliefs; not universal; many would say I am the one being ignorant) desire to do good is fairly understandable, very common, and forgivable to a degree.
It is not Evil by D&D's standards.