1. - Top - End - #330
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

This is really more of an exercise than anything. I'm not so strong on the homebrew stuff. Expecting a lot of criticism on this one and looking forward to hearing what I can improve. Then again the class isn't very imaginative. Still, I'm sure I managed to mess something up.

BLINKDOG

The Racials
    Spoiler
    Show

Blink Dog Racial Statistics

* +2 Dexterity: Blink dogs are incredibly nimble and agile creatures.
    * Medium: As Medium creatures, blinkdogs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    * Magical Beast
    * Blinkdogs base land speed is 40 feet.
    * Blinkdogs have tough hides which protects them from harm. A blinkdog has a bonus to his natural armor equal to his constitution modifier
    * Scent: A Blinkdog can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.
    * Low-Light Vision. A blinkdog can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. It retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
    * Darkvision: Blinkdogs can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and blinkdogs can function just fine with no light at all.
    * Natural Bite Attack (1d6)
    * Blink Dogs do not possess limbs capable of fine manipulation or wielding weapons.
    * Automatic Language: Blink Dog. Bonus Languages: None (Blink dogs are incapable of speech and can speak only their own language, a mixture of barks, yaps, whines, and growls that can transmit complex information.)
    * Favored Class: Blinkdog. When determining whether a multiclass blinkdog takes an experience point penalty, his or her blinkdog class levels do not count.

The Class
    Spoiler
    Show

Hit Die: d10
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Features
    1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Blink, +1 Dex, +1 Wis
    2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Dimension Door, +1 Dex, +1 Wis

[/table]
    Skills: 4+Int mod. Class skills are A Blinkdogs class skills are Hide, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival, and Swim.

Proficiencies: A blinkdog is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Features

Blink: Blink dogs have the ability to travel to and from the ethereal plane for brief bursts of time, because of this blink dogs often appear to be winking in and out of existence. A blink dog can use blink as a spell like ability 1/day for each HD it possesses. Using this ability requires a move action. When a Blinkdog reaches 5 HD he can use this ability as a free action. The caster for this effect is the blinkdog’s HD

Ability Increase: A blinkdog receives a permanent increase to his Dexterity and Wisdom scores at first and second level.

Dimension Door: Blinkdogs are masters of dimensional movement and can leap from one point to another in the blink of an eye. A blink dog can use Dimension Door as a spell-like ability 1/day for each HD it possesses. Using this ability requires a move action. At 8 HD this ability can be used as a free action. The caster for this effect is the blinkdog’s HD

Changed the racial stats to include the magical beast-thing and changed the natural armor bonus to the con score like is traditional for oslecamo's work.

Blinkdog body was not included because it wasn't needed. The reason I left that out is because I included a race. Which I prefer to the first level of the class erasing your racials. (No offense oslecamo, your stuff is awesome.)

The ability increases are from blinkdog itself. I'm not sure where I remember this from but I think there is a rule for determining racial ability bonuses from a monster and that was to subtract 10 or 11 from the value listed. The only stats that are increase for a blinkdog are Dexterity and Wisdom

Dex 17 - 11 = 6
    Wis 13 - 11 = 2

That and if I didn't do that, the blink dog class would be a little empty don't you think?

I'm going to trust that the more experienced people are right and change the stat bumps to +1 dex at each level. (thats you oslecamo and hyudra) I changed the dimension door/blink to 1/day for each HD.

But to me the class seems a little weak now. would be alright to give the creature the full bab and good fort that is appropriate for magical beasts?
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-04-19 at 03:55 PM.