View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] Ekolids under CR'ed?

1. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Ekolids under CR'ed?

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Ok. Warblades have been shown to be capable. By this measure, I can easily infer that their ToB counterparts would be able to hold their own as well. This is really not that unlikely.
    Yes, if the warblade can kill it in 3 rounds, if both its 2nd level readied maneuvers are the highest damaging ones available and it isn't nausiated. If its 2 redied second level maneuvers are emerald razor and wall of blades its a different story.

Sor: Magic Missile (you'll laugh, but seriously, it's a no-save, nothing the Ekolid can do, long-range damage spell), Color Spray (if you're brave and have a good save, this can stun it), Ray of Enfeeblement (durrrr), Glitterdust (you blew it off, but, should it fail a save, it gets punked), Summon Swarm (again), Web (hard to land it in the web, but, it does work), Blindness/Deafness (go blind, it either makes the save or dies like a bitch, again), Pyrotechnics (blinding, again), Lesser Orb of Sound and Hail of Stone (both are good damage spells it gets punked by), Ray of Clumsiness (as with Ray of Enfeeblement, durrrr), Baleful Transposition (if it fails its save, swap it with someone who can take the falling damage, and place it inside your group, where the Big Dumb Fighter has a readied action to hack it into cubes; takes planning, but ends it), Sting Ray (depending on your DM, this may override the Ekolid's Quickness, or not; if it does, it's awesome, if not, it's not, YMMV), Blast of Force (look Ma, force damage!), Light of Mercuria (as Cleric), Belkers Claws (if you can land it, probably through Spectral Hand, it's great).
    Sorceror not wizard, so he cannot change his spells everyday.

I will grant that Form of Madness is a little better than I recall, but, since it doesn't stack with itself, and is only a DC 10 Concentration check (all primary casters should have at least a +8 by now, probably better if they have more than a +1 Con mod), it's not that big a deal really.
    I cannot imagine it being a problem for the PCs.

Now, is that enough detail for you?
    Yes, but a lot of it is useless, since my point was with your claim that:

However, if your party is some combination of ToB classes, Beguiler/Dread Necromancer, Factotum, etc, they'll have no serious issues with it.
    and you then mentioned three tier 1 casters (cleric, druid and wizard which I never said would have a problem with it) and only one tier 2 caster (sorceror). Sorry about the misunderstanding.

EDIT: Concerning hit-and-run tactics, if it doesn't get away, that's not an issue. One blinding effect and the fight is over. Period.
    Assuming it fails its save it flies upwards in a straight line then waits for the affect to end.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    "Brawls over brains" is what a zombie does.

Factotums have Brains over Brawl, and what sort of wacky thing should they do? Well, if they win initiative (which is a Dex check, so they add their Int mod to their Dex mod), they can get 2d6 to 3d6 from Cunning Knowledge'd Iaijutsu Focus with 1d6 more damage per inspiration point they spend on Cunning Strike, in addition to the weapon damage and their stength or dex mod (and possibly 1-3 to hit and damage from Knowledge Devotion).
    Iaijutsu focus is often not allowed and RAW seems to suggest you can only gain 1 dice of sneak attack from cunning strike. Even if we assume 1d4 weapon damage (gnome quick razor) +2d6 from cunning strike and iajutsu focus +3 from strength and knowledge devotion, thats an average of 7.5 damage once DR is factored in, and they regain 5 hp every round. Did I mention they could fly (traveling 60ft after full attacking) and they like hit and run tactics?
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-05-08 at 11:04 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself