View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] Ekolids under CR'ed?

1. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Ekolids under CR'ed?

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Wow, a character with the dice on his side who is specifically build for an encounter is actually good at it?
    Actually, I used the average rolls for that.

1.If you're using iaijutsu focus, you're probably using gnome quick razor. And let be honest, how many factotums actually do wield a greatsword even if they can?
    Why wouldn't they? It's good damage on the charge at first round or surprise round, and since you can just let go off a 2-handed weapon with one hand as a free action and grab it again as a free action, it's nice for making AoOs and attacking when the enemy is not flat-footed. We're assuming competent players, no?
    2. How reliable are you hitting 3d6 extra damage with iaijutsu at level 4?
    7 ranks + 4 via Cunning Knowledge + 10 average d20 roll gives 21. You need 20+ for 3d6 damage.
    3. As I said earlier, the RAW implies you cannot get more than 1d6 exztra damage with cunning strike.
    RAW implies monks aren't proficient with their fists. Also, there's the Sage's ruling for what it's worth.

have specifically taiored the character for this encounter and are assuming a very leniant DM and the luck of the dice.
    I'm using a rather generic martial factotum with perfectly average rolls, and I don't see where this "very lenient DM" steps into the picture.

Even if we assume my first estimate was a bit short, 1d6 (short sword) + 2d6 (iaijutsu focus) + 1d6 (cunning strike) + 2 (strength) + 2 (knowledge devotion) +4 (inteligence) is going to be a more commonly seen, and thats an average of 17 damage after DR. A lot, but now you had better pray it does not act beofre you party members, becayse if it does, that 7 attacks, and then its leaving in the same turn, only to be back at full health.
    Why on Earth would he use short sword? Seriously.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-05-08 at 11:55 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.