View Single Post

Thread: Building a bully. [3.5]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Building a bully. [3.5]

Influenced by the many threads around lately with discussion on fighter's social interaction skills (or lack of thereof) and of building a character with both social skills and combat potency, an idea about intimidating thug has been rolling around my head. This is an attempt to get it out.

Build:
    Spoiler
    Show

Race: Goliath*
    Attributes at level 1 (+racial adjustment) STR: 14 (+4) DEX: 14 (-2) CON: 14 (+2) INT: 14 WIS: 10 CHA: 14
    traits: illiterate (+1 to intimidate), abrasive (+1 to intimidate, -1 to diplomacy and bluff)
    flaws: poor reflexes, vulnerable
    Multi-classing penalties not enforced.

For simplicity's sake, LA and the buyout are not on the table.
    {TABLE]ECL|class level|feats & special abilities
    1|fighter 1|thug variant, Power Attack (flaw), Improved Bull Rush (flaw), Nymph's Kiss
    2|fighter 2|dungeon crasher AFC
    3|fighter 3|zhentarim soldier AFC: Skill Focus: Intimidate
    4|fighter 4|Knockback
    5|fighter 5|zhentarim soldier AFC: Extended Intimidation, (Never Outnumbered skill trick)
    6|fighter 6|improved dungeon crasher AFC, Imperious Command
    7|fighter 7|
    8|fighter 8|Shock Trooper
    9|fighter 9|Zhentarim soldier AFC: Swift demoralization, Combat Reflexes
    10|fighter 10|Hold The Line
    11|barbarian 1|pounce (spirit lion totem AFC), rage (Whirling Frenzy AFC)
    12|barbarian 2|Improved Trip (wolf totem AFC), Intimidating Rage
    13|marshal 1|minor aura: motivate charisma, Skill Focus: Diplomacy (marshal bonus)
    14|cleric** 1|Travel Devotion (traded from Travel domain), magic domain granted power
    15|something|Knock-down[/TABLE]

*Does Powerful Build gives the bonus to Intimidate? By my reading, it should.
    **The cleric level is there because I was running low on ideas, and also because at those levels you can't always rely on being able to intimidate or bull rush enemies.
    As you can see, the build is just a rough draft and stops at level 15. I'm open to suggestions on how to proceed and/or improve the build. The build gets a few feats (namely Combat Reflexes and Knock-down) later than I'd prefer, and misses some non-essential but potentially useful stuff such as Urban Tracking. I'd also love to get Dreadful Wrath, but alas goliaths don't qualify.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2010-05-17 at 06:58 AM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.