View Single Post

Thread: Scottish claymore stats...?

1. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Default Re: Scottish claymore stats...?

"Though if I were going with the basket-hilted version, I'd say it had a built-in buckler to represent the basket-hilt."

!!!!

Erm... that's not really very realistic. By the same logic rapiers should have a 'free' buckler, as should cutlasses. In fact: Sign me up for a pair of those for an extra 2AC.

You might as well give swords a +1AC bonus because they're handy for parrying with. Or give maces and most other weapons a -1AC modifier because they don't have a cross-guard or any protection for the hand.

Basket hilts are there to stop your hand getting stabbed; not to deliberately routinely parry blows with. Not unless you want to end up without a hand.

A buckler can be freely moved around to deflect blows with while you strike with a weapon. A basket hilt is attached to your weapon. You don't constantly move your weapon hand to try to block with it, because then you're never going to hit anything. The two couldn't really be much more different in use or intention.

"Actually, in Gaelic it means "big sword". But maybe that's just splitting hairs."
    "I didn't see the point in being overly specific in my reference to a old language."

Turnabout's fair play?
    Last edited by Psyx; 2010-07-08 at 11:10 AM.