Quote Originally Posted by Magikeeper View Post
In order to use devour you need to grapple. If your opponent can hit you, the grapple automatically fails. 1-2 levels of trying to devour with that restriction would be more than enough. Therefore, I suggest they gain the ability at level 3, level 4 at the latest. Level 3 is when they get tentacles, so it would make sense for them to get it then. But at level 4 they get strange anatomy, so it could make sense there too.
I'll see about adding it somewhere in there.

A different issue: In order to retrieve items, you need to have features in your stomach. But you can’t add features to your stomach until you get swallow whole at level 9. Which means a level 8 or lower Ozodrin can’t retrieve the loot. So at levels 3-8 your party threatens to shank you if you eat opponents with gear?
Really, why can’t you just vomit them up? Having a tentacle horror eat a guy and them vomit out his digested remains isn’t monstrous enough? There is no mechanical need for a penalty, and I don’t see why the flavor wouldn’t work with something more group-friendly.
Good point on the inability to get stuff out. Swallow whole is at level 8, actually, but I'd initially planned it to be around level 4 (forgot I'd changed it). I'll likely make note that they can place features inside at level 3 in devour and refer to the swallow whole description.

Hmmm…. What are you not sure about? I can’t really help since I’m not sure what the problem is. Power concerns? Flavor Concerns?
Mainly a flavour concern. While the class is designed for aberrations in general, it is modelled after a specific character who lacks wings and such (I find it somewhat funny no one has figured out who it is given there being what I think is a fairly good hint in the first post, even if it is particularly obscure).

I think it is time to put the features in a spoiler block. It would make the class easier to read.
Btw – do you have any ideas for levels 9,12, and 14? Trying to make a 16th level npc. :P
I'll add the spoiler. There are no plans for a level 9 ability (I plan to leave that empty, though you gain the claws that catch augment for limbs there). 14 will likely be empty as well due to it being when you get the ability damage special eye augments. 12 and 16 I'm not sure about yet. I'm not actually that sure the later levels need to be full, due to the gaining of feature points allowing you to make new bodies as well as gaining new augments (perhaps I'll see about coming up with some later level augments for the early features). Suggestions are welcome as well.

Owrtho