Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
Show

"I'm sure. Ithelus can control her, and he agrees it's the wrong thing to do. She might try it again later, but I'll watch her like... well, like a Sparrowhawk. I'll keep you safe."

If you're innocent.... Maria, please be innocent.

"They still have suspicions though, Maria. I'm going to have to talk them out of this line of investigation... so...."

He knows that just telling her he wants to ask her some questions is more likely to incur her tears or anger than her openness.

So, he drops to one knee, and bows his head deeply before her. "Lady Samtzunge, I do not have the birth to demand anything of you, and no authority to question you. By rights I shouldn't even be in your home. But since it has fallen to me to speak on your behalf, please, will you answer my questions so that I will be able to perform ably."

He keeps his head bowed and remains kneeling until she respods (and possibly longer, depending on the response).

If she is willing to answer questions they are:
Spoiler
Show

-Do you have any idea why the elf can feel this, eh, "Aether" in your presence?
-Has anyone ever threatened to curse you? Or demonstrated magic for you?
-Did you meet any mages, by accident, when you were at school?
-The murders really are moving in this direction. Can you think of any reason why?
-A mandrake addict was implicated in Puderbrand's dealings. Would Mr. Lenkster have done anything desparate to get a dose? Or for money?

If at any point the questioning seems to be upsetting her, he will apologise and leave off.