View Single Post

Thread: Pouncing Rogue?

1. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Pouncing Rogue?

Quote Originally Posted by DrWonton View Post
    Which is exactly what I was referring to... sure, "in the long run", you're not losing anything, but my games generally don't start at level 17, meaning I (playing this hypothetical character that I have little intention of playing) would be losing out on some levels. It's like saying that a Sorcerer doesn't lose out on a Wizard "in the long run", cause by level 20, they both have 9th-level spells. In fact, the Sorcerer is lagging behind exactly 50% of the time.
    Skirmish only increases damage 4 times though so instead of being behind 50% of the time, you're only behind ~25% of the levels, and not by anything nearly as powerful as higher level spell slots. Instead, you're behind by +1d6/attack damage; 3.5 - ~14 damage. Relevant but nothing major.

More relevant earlier than later since it presents a larger percentile fraction of your composite damage, but as you don't have multiple attacks early, you don't need the dip then either so you won't be left behind until when it's not such a major factor anymore. And, of course, the fact that you get to full attack with Skirmish consistently (as opposed to "occasionally" or "never") means you're way, way ahead in damage compared to anyone without the dip.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-08-15 at 08:53 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.