Quote Originally Posted by BunnyMaster42 View Post
I've always wondered, why not simply get yourself an item that grants a +30 competence bonus on truenaming? If I'm reading the SRD correctly, the price for such an item would be 90,000gp, or 36,000 if you decided to make it usable by truenamers only.

Sure, it isn't the most affordable sollution but it's worth it at the higher levels. Considering at level 20 you would only need to roll a 2 or more to affect a CR 20 creature, it seems pretty reasonable. Then add on top of that the other various ways you have to boost your truenaming skill and you should be good to go.

Granted at lower levels before you can afford the skill boosting item you'd be out of luck, but it's something at least.
Agreed. I never understood why the DC is too high when you can just buy these items... it's as if it was made with this idea in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
Because that's a huge amount of wealth by level for the 90,000 GP version.
Well what else are you going to invest for your truenamer? Besides, the idea is to slowly upgrade your Bonus-To-Skill item as you level up and get more gold - this way you stay ahead of the difficulty curve.

Because most DMs will say "no" and not allow it.
That's not a valid retort. This class was basically made for use of such a magic item. For a DM to say no, he might as well just say no to the truenamer class. Doesn't make it any more right.

Because even then most of the truenamer's abilities are still worse than a warlock's (except At-Will Gate that's just broken)
Perhaps, but it can at least be competent at what it does.