View Single Post

Thread: Fighters

1. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Fighters

Why would you want to turn a Fighter, of all things, into a ninja? That's crazy talk! A samurai Fighter (or Paladin), on the other hand, would be quite workable.

Combat and skills are not mutually exclusive. Ambushes rely on stealth, Tumble helps with mobility, etc.

If you want to make a ninja character without using any "oriental"-flavored material, I don't really see how it requires any more than playing a Rogue and having your Rogue wear a black jumpsuit and, um, one of those... black... hat-mask... things.

The actual Ninja class from Complete Adventurer is basically a cross between Rogue and Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    There's no reason that in a world where magic exists, a Ninja couldn't be a spellcaster. Maybe your Cleric is a Ninja? That's actually quite in line with how they're portrayed in popular fiction though of course historical accuracy flew outta the window long ago. Cloistered Cleric with Trickery-domain has a good bunch of skills you want, and spells to be physically formidable while also having the option of a more discrete approach.
    I dunno, I think that something more like Arcane Trickster or Psychic Rogue would work better for a magic!ninja.
    Last edited by Devils_Advocate; 2010-08-28 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.