Quote Originally Posted by Kantolin View Post
As I comment, do note that I'm not much of an optimizer. So my responses probably aren't useful for a high-optimization game - I'm mostly looking at low-to-mid optimization. ^_^

Goblins: You said your goal was to make goblins more on-par with other LA 0 races, so...

Nexan: Still seem underpowered - goblins in general are kinda bleh, and Nexan Goblins are pretty much them with midnight cloak. As-is, if you let Midnight's Cloak boost all three abiliites, they have to put their racialpoint of essentia to /match/ normal goblins, which kind of nulls it as a bonus. I'd at least give them all three, and probably drop the charisma penalty to put them in line with other LA 0 races.

Baelian: The bonus to hit people in circumstance is neat. Consider dropping either the charisma or strength penalty, however.

Axion: Uh, Cobalt Mechanic doesn't help their being an artificer in particular, but sure. You cut their land speed for some reason - I'd putthem back at 30 and drop one of the penalties, and then I'm actually somewhat up in the air - that would make them competitive, although they still could use a little nudge somewhere.

~~~~~~~~~~
Hobgoblin: Army manz is what I usually think, but that's neither here nor there. ^_^

Bael: I think that's actually good. +2 to three physical stats (Especially constitution in this case), /two/ essentia, the ability to plug this essentia to get them bonuses to-hit and on crits, and the mild weapon improvisation works out for a LA+1 - that actually feels worth the LA, which is good.

Nexan: They're notably more meh than the Bael - again we're getting to the 'I dunno if I'd spend a LA on that'. If it had 2 essentia as well we'd be closer, as essentia is useful. At the very least, make it a small pool of similar combat-focused feats (Like, a small array of the essentia-for-combat-bonuses feats)

Axion: I do think I understand why the intimidate bonus is there, but that does feel slightly odd. No skill fits that particularly, however. The Aura of Oppression is very effective for the slaver-mentality you seem to be focusing for, and does the schtick well - it's only mind-affecting effects, however. You may want to make it 'also intimdiate checks' or something, since as stated the Axion have to work with actual spellcasters to /do/ the mind-affecting (unless that was the goal?)

I'll comment on the final two categories a bit later ^_^
Axion goblins got a little weakened because +2 Int is better for a wizard than +2 Dex is for anybody and I'm wary of races that get Int bonuses without LA (and they're small which is really useful then).

I'll probably boost Nexan Goblins, also Nexan Hobgoblins get an extra essentia from their bonus feat (Cobalt Charge gives you 1 essentia for taking it) in addition to their racial essentia.

And lastly I made the Aura of Oppression also work for fear effects which means it works on the modified opposed level checks for Intimidate (since they include modifiers to saves versus fear).