Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
Adding a few more examples of mythologies in which the major characters didn't use swords:

1. Philippine mythology's warriors were mostly spear-wielders, as far as I can tell.
And yet, depending precisely where you are, the Sword has enormous prestige in the Philippines. The Kris for example, the Barong among the Moro, the Kampilan... just to name a few.

2. Hindu mythology has warriors who were excellent at many weapons, but the bow seems to be most common, since the Astras (divine weapons bestowed by the gods as special blessings on warriors of great virtue) were often channeled through ranged weapons. Heck, the Brahmastra is closer to a nuke than anything. Other weapons that appeared in the hands of heroes were the mace (Hanuman and Bhima), and the spear (Lakshmana and Indrajita). The only one I recall who actually had a named sword was Ravana, the demon king and primary villain of the Ramayana, who wielded Chandrahas (the Moon Blade). Having 20 arms, he wielded a whole bunch of other weapons too.
All true, but the sword remained the principle prestige weapon in India as well, it is the center of the sacred symbol of the Sikhs to this day

http://library.thinkquest.org/07aug/...ikh_Khanda.png

3. Fereydun in the Persian Shahnameh wielded a mace as well, if I'm not mistaken.
Persia is another sword loving culture, the Akinakes in ancient times; the Shamshir from the end of the Middle Ages.

G.