View Single Post

Thread: Nerfing freedom of movement. (3.5)

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger View Post
    What melee maneuvers, other than grapple?? Tripping and bull rushing do not "impede movement", they in fact facilitate it.

Yes, FoM is a powerful defensive spell against entangling, hold line of spells, etc. but its no where in the same category as the SoD or even the SoS spells you listed above.
    Thanks for your reply

Stunning as well (poor poor monk)... how does being prone faciliate movement?

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm

It really shouldn't let you run as a humanoid at least... *adds that to houserules*

Back to FoM, yeah there certainly are more broken spells. Still, how would you nerf it?

Cheers,

R.P.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    Call me a n00b if you wish, but why is freedom of movement considered to be overpowered? It allows a divine caster (or bard) to ignore certain movement impeding effects but it still requires a spell slot (ie. the cleric/druid should've prepared for that situation and the bard has to sacrifice a precious spell known) while it only lasts for 10min/ level, which is usually one encounter. I could name other spells that are far more overpowered than this one.
    Hello Kaeso,

In my experience:

1) Most encounters end after 1 minute (10 rounds), 3 minutes if I drag them. At level 7, seventy minutes could last for several encounters...
    2) Spell slots quickly become trivial if you know what you are doing.
    3) A spell that simply says 'No' to a bunch of spells and the few melee options non spellcasting casters have is not what I would call fair.

Hope this helps,

R.P.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2010-09-26 at 05:09 PM.
    Awesome FE sprites done by Penguinator

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

My characters

Spoiler
    Show