Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
Re-scrubbing Thought #1: If you've looked over the list from Rip, or you're just familiar with angelology in general, then you should be aware of a universal theme. Many, if not most, names of angels end in the suffixes 'iel' or 'ael'. In its original language, this roughly translates to the term 'of God'. So for instance you might have 'Sword of God' or 'Rain of God' or even 'Venom of God' as in the case of Sammael. I propose that we drop this for several reasons. For starts, 'of God' is no longer appropriate for the polytheistic setting. If we could translate it into 'of Heaven' or 'of Virtue', then that might be acceptable.
That's a great idea. A quick googling doesn't find any translator that recognizes "ael" or "iel," so translating "of X" into that form might be difficult, but it's worth a shot.

Second, the iel/ael suffix could be viewed in the same light as the 'daemon/oloth' suffix of neutral evil outsiders. In fact I dare say it might be a direct counter, a bright mirror to the neutral evils. It could be applied to the Angel species as a whole, resulting in Solaraels and Planteriels and such. The various 'iels' and 'aels' would be refurbished on a case by case/name by name basis. So, for example, 'Ariel' would be shortened to 'Ar' and then extended as deemed appropriate.
Hmm. I don't know if I like that idea as much. First off, it involves changing the naming scheme of all the angels, which might not be the best idea. Second of all, the NE yugoloths' -oloth suffix already has a sort-of reflection in the NG guardinals (avoral, cervidal, equinal, leonal, etc.), and none of the other exemplar races have the same schtick; changing the angels' names to mirror the 'loths when they're not strictly opposites doesn't seem necessary.