Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
I did say 'use a rocket proof build'.
I'm not familiar with this term, I'm sorry. What i know is that Foresight>Celerity is damn impossible to beat, and it's still unclear that (the only way proposed to beat it) immunity to Divination is in fact, effective against Foresight.

Don't need to teleport to avoid dragons. Just run away and try again later in the same day.
But they can follow. 200 fly speed. They can cast Wall of Stone as well. The Wizard has mobility spells at his disposal, such as Haste, Phantom Steed, Greater Teleport etc. I'm curious how exactly are you planning on running away.

I have flight. Positive energy plane isn't all that dangerous. Most high level characters could literally pop in for lunch, and then saunter out again.
You have natural flight? Otherwise it's going to get fried by the Disjunction. Substitute the PEP with Demogorgon's layr of the Abyss then. Have fun swimming with the Aboleths. The possibilities are numerous.

No, I don't think he can. That's well beyond the parameters given for wish, unless you're duplicating a particular 8th level spell.
He could burn XP to go above the defined parameters, but since that requires DM approval i'll lay off. But it is within the RAI for Wish.

You need to hit, and I need to fail saves, neither of which is likely. You'd be better off shapechanging into something with a good chance of hitting and choose either one or the other.
Um... What? OK the term "hit" is used as in "I cast Disjunction, your magic goes *poof*" The spell requires no ranged, touch or other type of attack. It's an AOE burst effect. Assuming an 18 starting INT + 6 item + 5 tome = 29 Int, DC will be 10+9+9=28. So a 28 Will save for each magical item and effect on your person. Good luck with that. The Shapechange in to a Choker is so i can get an extra Standard action. I'm not using it to attack you in melee. That standard action means that, after i've fried every piece of magic on your person, I proceed to ray you in to oblivion. Or Imprison you. Whatever.

Possibly. However, with the tactics your referring to, the tier 1 caster has to decide what to cast in the first round before knowing what he's up against. Since you're casting timestop followed by a flurry of spells, it means you're basically committing to a particular tactic early on in the fight, and will suffer more if you choose something that happens to be ineffect against a particular attacker. Meanwhile, the attacker can and will customise his equipment, tactics, and so on to deal with what he knows of the target. "Don't forget the dragon repellent sir!"
That is not fair. Either we both do it in the dark, or we both look at each other's builds and adjust ad infinitum. You can't assume knowledge on a level 20 Wizard, that's just not a common commodity. And with an "everyday" build, you'll not survive past the first round out of Timestop, because the Wizard can throw so many things you just can't prepare for all of them.

So it would be more appropriate for you to come up with a specific build first, and then have other people try to kill it. Or we could go for an actual run through.
I'll make the build but won't post the spells or items before the actual fight. Unless you can show me a specific indisputable way by which you will obtain that info.

Can make save, immunity to poison is easy to get, need to hit (x4)
Unluck and Irresistible Dance are no-save-just-lose spells. There's a lot more where that came from. All the ray spells don't allow a save either, you should really read up on your spell descriptions. I can hit you with rays of exastion powered by some metamagic and finish you of with a metamagicked Shivering Touch that does Dex damage. All these are rays, i can squeeze them in one round via rods and metamagic. Without ray deflection (which you won't have since i've disjnoined your stuff) you die.

These are all excellent suggestions, but none of them are sure things.
After frying your gear and hitting you with stuff that allows for no save or having the Dragons grapple you and eating your brain as a shapechanged Illithid the Wizard will disagree.

Again, excellent suggestions, but these are all counters to particular attack style. Which one are you going to use against an unknown opponent?
95% of them. You seem to think Wizards get a few spells to prepare. At 20th level, between Wands, Scrolls (lots of them), Pearls of Power and Specialization they get so much stuff you will never win a war of attrition. A Wizard can kill you with 5th level spell slots just as badly as with 8th level. Especially if that's an Incantatrix with Easy Metamagic.

The wizard has a great variety of options, enough to cover almost everything. But he can't keep all those options open - he has to commit himself. If he's by himself, he has to commit himself early on. If he's wrong, he may not get another chance.
The Wizard has his options. Then he has his backup options (contingencies). Then he has his oh-SHI options (scrolls of Wish, 9th level Pearls of Power etc.), then he has his items for 20th WBL like Rods of Quicken, Maximize, Empower etc. Commiting himself means going mini-nova (lol) in the Time Stop round. You still have to deal with (if you survive that is) a lot of lower level spells that are very, very broken as well. Tell me how you deal with Irresistabel Dance + Arcane Reach from Archmage? Just one example btw.