Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
Complete Independent Study. My school doesn't offer it, and I got a taste for it by reading Chaucer in the original and wondering what it'd be like to do that with things like Beowulf.
You don't do the original over in Trogland?
How bizarre.
The number of time since I was sixteen I seen the General Prologue in original MdE is astounding.
Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote
And bathed every eyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
whan Zephyris eke with his soote brethe
etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
So I asked around of some of my professors - my Chaucer professor had some book recommendations, my linguistics professor didn't know, and my Spanish professor studied it as part of his bachelor's in Germanic linguistics, but he didn't know where his books were.

My advisor was able to give me some real help, though. Her husband did his PhD in Anglo-Saxon poetics, so I've been going out to their farm weekly to work through translations and study the language better.

I speak English and Spanish, so the hard part is mostly dealing with remembering the declensions since I've never dealt with a language that declines as much as Englisc. Never taken German or anything like that, so I don't have a huge base of comparison.

Once I get into grad school, though, I intend to continue with Old English and get started on Old Norse too. I'm already at the point where I'm loving some of the words enough that I want to use them now.

I don't know. I'm weird. I'm triple majoring in Writing, Literature and Spanish. And I'm studying Old English in my spare time. And the Old English is starting to bleed into my poetry the more I pursue it.
Clever clogs.
This site help any?
Or this?
Or ON?

I have more, similar sites if ever you want any. I'd post more, but I must dash.