1. - Top - End - #1467
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    Inspired hath in every holt and heeth...

We do Chaucer in the original, since it's quite readable. We just don't touch him much at all until the university level. Which is a shame. And we don't touch Old English at all in the original unless you're studying it for a Master's Degree.

It's a bit disappointing, honestly.
    Lil bit. In Britland ((UK) colleges we at least look at Chaucer and Beowulf even though we don't actually study the latter; and only glance at Chaucer. It depends on the course though.
    I think at uni the maiority of English degrees involve looking at OE poetry in translation if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintRidley View Post
    I think they'll help a lot. Mostly I use a combination of John Pope's Seven Old English Poems, Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Dictionary and the University of Michigan's pages on Old English grammar. But these will help me tremendously.
    Then I highly recommend this site. It's an online version of one of the Extremely Recommended books for English at my university. And if you can, try and get A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary ed. J. R. Clark-Hall. You can get a copy dirt-cheap on Amazon. Mine was about £6 second-hand. It's invaluable.
    Northvegr has "The Complete Corpus of Old English Poetry" on the page I linked directly to, but there's also some stuff under the Histories section, and of course, there's a lot of ON stuff on the site too. And Boethius, Bede, Tacitus and a few more things.
    The link to the Sacred Texts site is very good as well.
    And, for gits and shiggles: What If Star Wars was an Icelandic Saga? Yep. The entire thing. In ON/OIcelandic. Best thing about that site is that it posts the Tattuinardoela Saga in English and ON/OIcelandic.

Have fun.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-10-06 at 07:52 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!