If you want SRd...well, I agree that you aren't going to get balance, so you need to go for the homebrew.
But really, you are going to have to limit how much mages can do to make melee on par without magical/pseudomagical abilities.

To do this Magic users need to be limited in A: power wielded, and B: breadth of power. Either an fatigue system of some sort, or by making a lot of the more useful spells, like teleport, polymorph, etc have ritual-like casting times 10 minutes, an hour, things like that (of course you have to limit usefulness/up duration on polymorph...but still). Finally, I think there needs to be danger involved in more complex (IE not in combat) casting. It makes it much less worrysome that the wizard can do X Y or Z if he might lose stats, die, or even lose his soul to a demon.

Actually, now that I am thinking about it more, the best system would be a lot of at will abilities, that represent the 'lower power' spells that you are capable of casting [IE most of the combat castable ones], coupled with powerful ritual magic that requirted a lot of exotic ingredients, time spent, and/or somer danger to the caster/participants

This seems to give the best of both worlds