1. - Top - End - #164
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Is sacrifice evil if it saves the greater good?

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    You're right, killing is not inherently evil. But no sane DM would ever say "Killing of Innocents" is not an evil act. Even a mind-controlled paladin will need to atone if he has been compelled to do so.

Also, the D&D definition of justifiable homicide (BoED Pg 9 on Violence) is a just cause and Good intentions. Non-combatants are mentioned too, no fireballing women and children.
    I don't know about that. A low-level paladin in the 21st century, in a pandemic situation, faced with the decision of whether or not, to distribute a hazardous vaccine, would, I think, distribute it.

Even if he knows that by distributing it, he is Killing Innocents (specifically, the 1% or so that will have a bad reaction to it).

Thus, Killing Innocents, becomes, in certain exceptionally rare situations (I.E. when it's an unavoidable direct consequence of Protecting The Innocent) a nonevil act.

By contrast, the mind-controlled paladin on a rampage, is not doing so to Protect The Innocent.

Protecting The Innocent, may qualify as just cause and good intentions.

That said, "Must Not Commit an Evil Act" takes priority over that- so when the connection is much less direct, the killing of the Innocent may qualify as Murder, which in BoVD and FC2 is an Evil Act.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-11-26 at 05:41 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele