New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Star Wars] A Tad Uncomfortable...

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    sure, its not like a Detect Evil spell would show it up. But the point of the industry was to make money- and the direct result involved a lot of misery, and Han is a willing participant, even if he dislikes it.
    See, I find it similar to a weapons company. Yes, there is misery due to their business, but it's the fault of the customers, not the company.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    and "addictive, mind-altering + dangerous to health" is pretty nasty combination.
    Are you talking about alcohol or tobacco or fat foods or...

Oh, drugs? And just the illegal ones, not the ones that are huge industries (i.e. alcohol and tobacco)?

Yeah, they're not evil, and which drugs are outlawed is purely a matter of money (and doesn't work out any better than the Prohibition).

Drug-dealing, however, tends to involve murder and the like, which is pretty evil.

Edit: You know, now that I think on that, that's got to be one of the dumbest things in the game universe. What, are there Republic-wide anti-drug laws observed on all planets? Surely there'd be enough planets that allow the sale of any particular drug to take up the entire supply of it.
    Last edited by Tsotha-lanti; 2008-12-20 at 11:27 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

In one of the short stories from "Tales from" (possibly "Tales from Jabba's Palace" or "Tales from the Bounty Hunters" Jabba has lent Leia as a present to Boba, and he, being very honorable in his own way, doesn't touch her, but does explain why he thinks the rebellion is immoral and Han a corrupt guy for taking part in the drug-smuggling business. The facct that his employer is the biggest of the lot doesn't get mentioned.

and Palpatine, from what I remember, made it a government monopoly, hence the galaxy-wide laws. the ability to mind-read- in the hands of anybody- what government wouldn't restrict it heavily?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2008-12-20 at 11:42 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post

Drug-dealing, however, tends to involve murder and the like, which is pretty evil.
    only illigal drugs... or the streets around the coffee shops of amsterdam would be littered with bodies

if you're dealing with an illigal product, you can't always rely on competitors to resort to legal means to increase their market share
    pancake-atar created by RTG0922

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    xPANCAKEx - He's a scumbag, but he's a wise scumbag.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    Edit: You know, now that I think on that, that's got to be one of the dumbest things in the game universe. What, are there Republic-wide anti-drug laws observed on all planets? Surely there'd be enough planets that allow the sale of any particular drug to take up the entire supply of it.
    I'm pretty sure that the Republic's anti-drug laws are indeed observed on every Republic planet (although enforced with varying levels of care). But they can make a lot more money selling drugs in illegal places, simply because the risk forces the price to skyrocket.

Also, the Empire outlawed it except through legal means, and the legal means jacked the prices up to astronomical levels that only the elite of the elite in the Empire could afford.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way, is the Cybernetic Surgery feat any good at all? I took the feat a few levels back, and I haven't gotten any use out of it. The GM's willing to let me pick a different feat instead. From what I read in the book, it seems to be utter suck.

So, you get a replacement for one of your limbs, but it functions exactly the same as the original, except now you're vulnerable to ion grenades as a droid, and you're not as good at using the Force.

However, I can't even find any rules for losing limbs in the first place.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doomsy View Post
    He mentioned earlier than his group rescued Aayla. She presumably saw him then.
    The better question is why a Jedi Knight who has knowledge of him being a slaver apparently decided it was better to send a Bothan on a suicide quest than go have a friendly little chat with someone of her own species selling her own species into slavery. Even if she just suspects it, that is not something a Jedi would just send a first helpful face to investigate - especially one that blatantly bad at the game.

Way to go, hero(ine).
    These are twiliks, that conversation would go somthing like this.

Aayla. meets fellow twilik.
    Aayla: Hay fellow twilik there is this other fellow twilik who sells fellow twiliks into slavery!
    Fellow Twilik: You just figured this out now jedi?

Ryloth is in Hut Space. They are heavily into the criminal element in the galaxy. Most of the peaple who profit from twilik slaves are twiliks.

To OP

Ok most peaple play in a very forced disney way when dealing with other players. they call it being a team or not causing problems. So they make rules about no interparty conflict. Thats why you get a bunch of paladins who should tecnicly fall because the rogue really is an evil bastard, but doesnt because they dont want to RP the interactions. Dont be a timid RPer. You are playing an evil bastard so be one. Aayla is your first target. She is a direct threat to your well being. Turn her in Im sure there is a big reward. The next is the bothan scout. Screw him in a way that removes him as a threat. Get the mando to kill him. You kill him. Sell him into slavery. Turn him into the republic/empire. This is within your characters personality. This is what ROLL PLAYING is all about. Character should be free to make choicess. Part of that is how they interact with each other. There is no rule that sais you need to hold hand and cooperate. You just need to not take that conflict personaly.
    Last edited by Hawriel; 2008-12-20 at 03:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Many of the other Twi'leks also despise both the slave trade and the slave traders - especially the free ones. Also, as a Jedi Knight, Aayla is kind of supposed to stop them from doing that kind of thing when she can. In the extended fluff even a lot of the black market people have a marked distaste for slave trading. This is mostly because a good number of them started out as slaves themselves, but the point still stands.

Secondly, Hutt Space effectively has no laws. Slavery is possibly quasi-legal there but recognition of ownership does not seem to apply to Republic space. In other words, in Hutt Space, you can bust into a slave training complex that is perfectly legit, slaughter everyone there not a slave, free all the slaves, and walk out again back into Republic space legally free and clear. It's one of the prices you pay for being ruled by insanely corrupt slugs. You're only as safe as the influence and power you can buy, no real legal defenses.

Thirdly, we've drifted a bit off topic. Ethics in Star Wars would be a nice new thread title and a good break from BREAKING THE PALLIE threads, no?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    See, I find it similar to a weapons company. Yes, there is misery due to their business, but it's the fault of the customers, not the company.
    Well, there are morally legitimate uses for weapons. It's hard to make that argument for illicit drugs, since drugs that have legitimate uses are supposed to be called medicines.

If Han Solo is running blockades with medicines that happen to be illegal for political/economic reasons, then drug-smuggling makes him Good.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

Wait, how do you know he's a hired assassin? From everything the first post says, there's no real proof of that at all. It might be semi-suggested by the cliche used, but there is such a thing as just paranoia.

Anyway, your in character responce is good, in my opinion. Also, Alaya may have known your identity because word of a someone enslaving his own race can't be that much of a secret. I can understand it not being well-known what your name is, but you have to have gained a certain infamy that makes it harder not to know of yourself.
    Djinn_in_Tonic avatar. I owe him a big thank you.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Many of the other Twi'leks also despise both the slave trade and the slave traders - especially the free ones. Also, as a Jedi Knight, Aayla is kind of supposed to stop them from doing that kind of thing when she can. In the extended fluff even a lot of the black market people have a marked distaste for slave trading. This is mostly because a good number of them started out as slaves themselves, but the point still stands.

Secondly, Hutt Space effectively has no laws. Slavery is possibly quasi-legal there but recognition of ownership does not seem to apply to Republic space. In other words, in Hutt Space, you can bust into a slave training complex that is perfectly legit, slaughter everyone there not a slave, free all the slaves, and walk out again back into Republic space legally free and clear. It's one of the prices you pay for being ruled by insanely corrupt slugs. You're only as safe as the influence and power you can buy, no real legal defenses.

Thirdly, we've drifted a bit off topic. Ethics in Star Wars would be a nice new thread title and a good break from BREAKING THE PALLIE threads, no?
    New thread idea: How to make a Paladin Jedi fall...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    By the way, is the Cybernetic Surgery feat any good at all? I took the feat a few levels back, and I haven't gotten any use out of it. The GM's willing to let me pick a different feat instead. From what I read in the book, it seems to be utter suck.

So, you get a replacement for one of your limbs, but it functions exactly the same as the original, except now you're vulnerable to ion grenades as a droid, and you're not as good at using the Force.

However, I can't even find any rules for losing limbs in the first place.
    It's in the non-saga corebook rules or the SE corebook rules. I can't check right now, but it was extraordinarily insane - you basically roll a d6 to determine what limb you just got hacked off after taking a certain amount of damage over a threshold. It is pretty hilariously insane.

And from what I can tell that feat is not actually worth much unless you have someone planning on being Darth Vader or want to save money - some of those prosthetics are pretty expensive.

13. - Top - End - #43

And from what I can tell that feat is not actually worth much unless you have someone planning on being Darth Vader or want to save money - some of those prosthetics are pretty expensive.
    So, what feat would you suggest instead?
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So, what feat would you suggest instead?
    Depends. What is your build and what are you going for?

15. - Top - End - #45

Well, I don't have the character sheet on hand, so this is entirely from memory... Tykoga's a Noble 5/Scoundrel 4. The GM let me take a couple of talents from the Force Unleashed book, but other than that, my stuff is straight from the core book.

Tykoga is a charismatic "face." He is especially skilled in deception and persuasion (a +20 skill modifier, if I recall correctly).* One of the talents I got from Force Unleashed allows him to, once per day, take twenty on a single deception check. Tykoga took Wealth as his first talent. One of his other talents allows him to use his Charisma modifier instead of his Wisdom modifier for Will Defenses.

I'm taking my next level in Scoundrel, for the Force Unleashed talent that allows me to make a free melee (or ranged, if I have the Quick Draw feat, which I do) attack in the event that I fail a Deception check.

Tykoga keeps a few pistols on his person, in case his attempts at diplomacy don't work. He has the Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Double Attack, and Deadeye feats, as well as Skill Focus twice (once for Persuasion, once for Deception).

I'm looking to make him a little more able to take care of himself in a fight, while still possessing crazy-good social skills.

*In fact, flipping now to the back of the book and looking at him, Tykoga is currently an even better liar than Palpatine. Hmm...
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-12-21 at 08:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

^That's a very scary thought

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Off the top of my head after glancing at the feats?

Crossfire, Savage Attack,Running Attack all seem solid and a good way to keep falling back or getting into cover while providing some punch. Crossfire is good if you tend to deal with small quarters often from the looks of it, Savage Attack adds some more damage in, and running attack lets you keep on the bounce.

18. - Top - End - #48

Off the top of my head after glancing at the feats?

Crossfire, Savage Attack,Running Attack all seem solid and a good way to keep falling back or getting into cover while providing some punch. Crossfire is good if you tend to deal with small quarters often from the looks of it, Savage Attack adds some more damage in, and running attack lets you keep on the bounce.
    Hmm... I only have the Core book on my person. I take it that Savage Attack and Crossfire are in Force Unleashed?

By the way, forgot to mention... Tykoga owns a Maka-Eekai L4000 Transport. Hasn't gotten much use, but thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-12-21 at 11:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You got it. And that is really pretty interesting for a cargo ship. Guessing he uses it for shipping slaves?

20. - Top - End - #50

You got it. And that is really pretty interesting for a cargo ship. Guessing he uses it for shipping slaves?
    Among other things, of course. Although, like I said, it hasn't gotten much use. For our last adventure, Mell let us use a Corellian Corvette (!!!).
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2008-12-22 at 02:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well, you need to deal with the Bothan first, I think, as he seems more likely to take direct action between him and the Jedi. If at all possible, you should arrange for the Jedi to kill him, or at least be around him when he dies with no witnesses (that you don't control.) This will allow you to frame her with the murder, or at least muddy the waters. She already seems to be acting un-Jedi like, which will aid in spurring suspicion, unless the party/DM are 2 dimensional meta-gamers. Furthermore, in the current age of paranoia concerning Jedi that you find yourself in, even if the murder charge doesn't stick it'll draw all sorts of attention that she can't really afford. Either way, she'll get the message about minding her own business, assuming she has the brains for it. Best of all, you can keep your hands completely clean by working through proxies, given the connections you must have accumulated as a slaver. Just keep in mind to always have an alibi, preferably a very public one.
    Thanks to NEO|Phyte for the Black Templar avatar. You will kneel before the God-Emperor, or you will be knelt.

22. - Top - End - #52

Keep in mind, it's not my group that I'm worrying about scrutiny from; it's Mell, the leader of the hidden base we're living on. And apparently Mell knows Aayla Secura very well.

Also, I am working through proxies. I don't just show up on Ryloth and start stuffing women in sacks... that sort of grunt work is beneath me.

Anyway, I think if I can decieve Aayla and the others into thinking I'm no longer a slaver, I might be able to get them off my back about it all.

23. - Top - End - #53

Keep in mind, it's not my group that I'm worrying about scrutiny from; it's Mell, the leader of the hidden base we're living on. And apparently Mell knows Aayla Secura very well.

Also, I am working through proxies. I don't just show up on Ryloth and start stuffing women in sacks... that sort of grunt work is beneath me.

Anyway, I think if I can decieve Aayla and the others into thinking I'm no longer a slaver, I might be able to get them off my back about it all.
    Well, it seems, then, that you have some experience with this sort of thing. The problem, though, is that simply deceiving the rest of the party is probably too passive of a solution at this juncture. This Mell knowing Aayla complicates things further... What is the nature of the relationship they have? Professional? Friendship? Mutual respect?

My point would be that deception doesn't neutralize the threat; it simply makes you have to work twice as hard for no tangible gain. Furthermore, word of this getting back to your criminal allies with cause them to either consider you weak or will give them a tool to use against you.
    Thanks to NEO|Phyte for the Black Templar avatar. You will kneel before the God-Emperor, or you will be knelt.

24. - Top - End - #54

Quote Originally Posted by graymachine View Post
    My point would be that deception doesn't neutralize the threat; it simply makes you have to work twice as hard for no tangible gain. Furthermore, word of this getting back to your criminal allies with cause them to either consider you weak or will give them a tool to use against you.
    The deception is just to keep me from waking up strapped to a torpedo. Once I have some breathing room, I'll take care of the situation in a more proper manner...

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think this is all still a little fishy. It sounds like someone might be crossing OOC/IC for the purpose of either trying IC drama (Well Intentioned Thespian) or they got a dislike issue going on. Or your GM is setting something up. You know 'em best so you probably would be better aware of it.

I'd still want to kill the Bothan just for lacking common sense, though. Actually saying that to the person you're investigating is about as stupid as saying 'Eat me' to a Hutt.

26. - Top - End - #56

I think this is all still a little fishy. It sounds like someone might be crossing OOC/IC for the purpose of either trying IC drama (Well Intentioned Thespian) or they got a dislike issue going on. Or your GM is setting something up. You know 'em best so you probably would be better aware of it.
    That's all too likely. Truth be told, I don't know the Bothan's player that well, one more reason why I should talk to him about this.

27. - Top - End - #57

I'd still want to kill the Bothan just for lacking common sense, though. Actually saying that to the person you're investigating is about as stupid as saying 'Eat me' to a Hutt.
    Hm...

I had assumed there was metagaming going on behind the scenes, given what has been said. Part of the reason that I was in favor of a rapid solution.

28. - Top - End - #58

Quote Originally Posted by graymachine View Post
    I had assumed there was metagaming going on behind the scenes, given what has been said.
    I likewise suspected the same, the Bothan having mentioned "Twi'lek slavers" amongst the things he might be able to help Aayla out with. The second I mentioned it to the player, however, he went on about how "it would make sense if you took his backstory into context" or somesuch.

29. - Top - End - #59

So, any update?

30. - Top - End - #60

Not yet - been stuck at my parents' house. I was supposed to go back tonight, but my sister made other plans... (curses my inability to drive)

I'm hoping to settle all this when I get back to the college in a few days.