New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5e] Acting like a homicidal maniac

I've recently been wondering if you use Bluff or Intimidate for a character who pretends to be a homicidal maniac during battle. Basically, he acts like that to unnerve the enemy; in reality, he's as sane as anyone.

I just got this mental image of a warlock going all-out in a fight while doing a good impression of Alexander Anderson (the blonde guy in this video) and I remember reading something in the PHB about using Intimidate to unnerve the enemy (it's been a while since I've read that part of the book, so I could be wrong) and I'm not sure which skill the war-crazed lunatic act would use.

On one hand, the cackling and grinning are meant to scare the living hell out the enemy, while on the other hand; the character's not really insane, just acting it.

Anyone got ideas on how this'd work?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e] Acting like a homicidal maniac

Intmidate, or ask your DM to let you use the Frightful Presence feat from d20 modern.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

I think there's also a frightful presence feat in Libris Mortis

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mabriss lethe View Post
    I think there's also a frightful presence feat in Libris Mortis
    There might be, but I think it's for Undead.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Intmidate, or ask your DM to let you use the Frightful Presence feat from d20 modern.
    Well I thought Intimidate, but what if your acting isn't good enough to convince them you're mad? And this effect doesn't seem like it's worth spending a feat on.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

I'd say both. First a bluff check to see if the enemies realize that he is just faking it. And if they do fall for it, an intimidate check to see if they are actually threatened by his behavior.
    Last edited by revolver kobold; 2008-12-24 at 12:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Avenging executioner PRC from Com Scoundrel. They have a class feature called "Bloody Murder" that forces a will save if somebody sees you sneak attack one of their allies. The entire class is based upon being a very, very scary serial killer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Frightful Presence feat is in the Draconomicon, and it's specifically in the chapter for PCs. Combine it with the feat Dreadful Wrath from Player's Guide to Faerun and opponents will have to make two saves or be Shaken, failing both they'll be Frightened. If more than one person in the party has those feats most encounters will be a pushover.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

I read somewhere about Intimidate being used in a battle of wills. I think it was Tome of Battle.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Isn't there also the Intimidating Strength feat from CWar. Switches Intimidate to working of Str instead of Cha... (not valid for a Warlock, but useful for reference purposes).

As for acting like a homicidal maniac. Just dress like an adventurer; people will get the message.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2008-12-24 at 06:23 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post
    Well I thought Intimidate, but what if your acting isn't good enough to convince them you're mad? And this effect doesn't seem like it's worth spending a feat on.
    Just because he think you are mad doesn't mean he will be scared by you.

And vice versa.

At best I'd give you a sinergy bonus.
    I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose

"...the Perilious Path of Crushing Doom"
    " Please, tell me it is actually filled with cute, fuzzy bunnies and they just named it that to be ironic."

Note to Self:
    If you ever happen to doubt the Giant again remember the "Ghost-martyrs of the Sapphire guard

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    As for acting like a homicidal maniac. Just dress like an adventurer; people will get the message.
    That just gets the image across; I'm wanting to really hammer it home. With the D&D equivalent of Mjollnir, preferably. Like Anderson in the video I linked in the original post; he's a Church Militant warrior, but the cackling and grin show that he's a real fanatic.

Quote Originally Posted by revolver kobold
    I'd say both. First a bluff check to see if the enemies realize that he is just faking it. And if they do fall for it, an intimidate check to see if they are actually threatened by his behavior.
    That's a good idea; simple and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
    Just because he think you are mad doesn't mean he will be scared by you.

And vice versa.

At best I'd give you a sinergy bonus.
    This isn't meant for big bads or whatever; just for low level groups of mooks.
    Last edited by ShadowFighter15; 2008-12-24 at 06:55 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Intimidate. Pretty much all intimidation is acting, on some level. It's different than conning people (Bluff) or putting on a show (Perform).
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFighter15 View Post

That's a good idea; simple and effective.
    No. Requiring an unrelated skill roll to see if you're allowed to use the skill roll you're actually trying to use is neither simple nor effective. Well... it's effective at nerfing Intimidate, and making it impossible to use on the battlefield. But it's not effective at much else.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I thought this was how 90% of adventurers really are. I don't see the added intimidation of merely pretending to be one. If your life is on the line then it's on the line.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

If you succeed wouldn't your opponents fight harder?
    I don't know about you but if I'm going to fight a guy and I think "Hey, if I surrender or try to run he'll hunt me down and kill me anyways" I'm going to fight like hell to win...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    Intimidate. Pretty much all intimidation is acting, on some level. It's different than conning people (Bluff) or putting on a show (Perform).
    Except when you mean it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tahu88810 View Post
    If you succeed wouldn't your opponents fight harder?
    I don't know about you but if I'm going to fight a guy and I think "Hey, if I surrender or try to run he'll hunt me down and kill me anyways" I'm going to fight like hell to win...
    Solution: Bonus to Hit or Str, loss of AC, as a barbarian rage.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ummm... Anderson isn't acting, that's his actual personality.

I think what you are wanting is to mechanically show how Bad Ass your homicidal maniac is.

However, in the (extremely NSFW) video you linked, no one was particularly intimidated by him, except possibly Police Girl, who was also incapacitated in the first round, is is effectively a level 1 in a level 20 game anyways.

If you can't show how bad ass scary your character is without resorting to mechanics to make people scared of his bad assery, then he isn't bad ass, just a wannabe, and not particularly frightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    I thought this was how 90% of adventurers really are. I don't see the added intimidation of merely pretending to be one.
    Yeah. In the real world, a homicidal maniac might kill a ten or a dozen people over the course of his life.

Adventurers can make that many kills in one combat round.

Adventurers are scarier than homicidal maniacs. Pretending to be a homicidal maniac is selling yourself short.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

there was a feat emulatinf frightfull presence but with another name, daunting presence I think it was called. And it wasnt for undead only.
    I WAS THERE
    Life is like a dungeon master, if it smiles at you, you just know that something terrible is about to happen

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins View Post
    Sane.... isn't the word I'd use with you, Coplantor. Or myself, in fact. With myself, I'd say obssessive. With you, I'd say.... Coplantor.

Now I haz deviant!
    The DnD Logic
    Now I haz Blog!

22. - Top - End - #22

Okay, maybe homicidal maniac wasn't the right term. Acting like a blood-crazed lunatic that would make all but the most frothing-mad berserkers look calm would be a more accurate one. He's pretending to enjoy the killing to a degree that is (at least) unsettling for any sentient race.

He's pretending to enjoy the sort of hell he's raising and the death he's causing. The man acts like an utter lunatic (despite being quite a likeable and cheerful sort to people who know him).

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost
    Ummm... Anderson isn't acting, that's his actual personality.
    I know; my point was that he's an extreme for the characterisation, the warlock I've been picturing is acting like an extreme for his characterisation (or at least what people think his characterisation is; he's also playing on the preconceptions people have about warlocks).

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost
    However, in the (extremely NSFW) video you linked, no one was particularly intimidated by him, except possibly Police Girl, who was also incapacitated in the first round, is is effectively a level 1 in a level 20 game anyways.
    Just to point out; Seras (Police Girl) was probably the only sane one in that scene: Alucard's completely off his rocker (and loving every minute of it) and Integra (Alucard's boss and head of the Hellsing Organisation) is used to that sort of personality from Alucard (that and she's a badass as well).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Yeah. In the real world, a homicidal maniac might kill a ten or a dozen people over the course of his life.

Adventurers can make that many kills in one combat round.

Adventurers are scarier than homicidal maniacs. Pretending to be a homicidal maniac is selling yourself short.

- Saph
    Hey, the adventurer I'm playing has been around for about 2 dozen sessions, and he hasn't killed anyone yet. Not all adventurers are psychos.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Hey, the adventurer I'm playing has been around for about 2 dozen sessions, and he hasn't killed anyone yet. Not all adventurers are psychos.
    Wait.

He's going against armies of monsters and people out for his head, heavily armed, alongside individuals in a profession known for bloodlust...

And he's put in the effort to avoid killing anyone?

Man, that guy's crazy.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2008-12-25 at 11:20 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

25. - Top - End - #25

A homicidal maniac is someone who goes around breaking into people's homes, killing them "just for the experience", taking their stuff, and doesn't detect evil them first.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

This is a perfect example of an Intimidate check. If you succeed in the roll, your acting IS good enough... they believe that you're insane and that fighting you will be a losing proposition. If it isn't good enough, they may not buy your acting, or they may say "Eh, crazy people aren't any harder to kill."
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

That made me laugh out loud. I'm not sure why.

Yeah, it should just be an Intimidate check. That's really what Intimidate is for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

I'm going to go ahead and jump on the "that's just one of many ways to fluff an Intimidate check" train.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

29. - Top - End - #29

'spose that's the easiest way. As I said; I wasn't sure because part of it is the character's acting skill, but I suppose the whole point of intimidation is acting tough. Thanks for the help everyone.