New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Energy Missile, overpowerful?

Think of a level 20 Kineticist Psion with +14 Int modifier (a reasonable guess I think)
    With Maximize Power

Now, fully augment the energy missile.
    If enemy doesn't have Electricity Resistance or Improved Evasion, use Electricity
    If enemy has Improved Evasion, but not Cold Resistance, use Cold
    If enemy has Cold Resistance, use something they don't have resistance to.

108 (empowered 18d6) damage to 5 targets with a 42 for save.

If you use Psicrystal Containment and Twin Spell, it gets more ridiculous damage-wise.
    72 (empowered 12d6) damage to 10 targets with a 36 for save. Cold deals +12 damage per missile, or 120 total. It also makes the save a Fort save, rendering Evasion useless.

840 damage against 36 to save? Surely hard. A good progression and having dex and con (I'd say +10 for both, you need both to save against this), and a +4 item gives you +26, which means you still need to roll a 10. And even then, how many characters DO have both dex and con at +10?

Edit: You can't get all 5 to hit same person, my bad on that, my case still stands.
    Last edited by Eloel; 2008-12-24 at 02:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Energy Missile, overpowerful?

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/energyMissile.htm
    You cannot hit the same target multiple times with the same manifestation of this power.
    Also, it's been errata'ed to improve the DC by 1 per each two power points you spend. It's not imba.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Also, it's been errata'ed to improve the DC by 1 per each two power points you spend. It's not imba.
    the Errata is not seen on d20srd... My bad if it has been.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Upon manifesting this power, you choose cold, electricity, fire, or sonic. You release a powerful missile of energy of the chosen type at your foe. The missile deals 3d6 points of damage to each creature or object you target, to the maximum of five targets. You cannot hit the same target multiple times with the same manifestation of this power.
    Sorry, no dice.

EDIT: BAH! Psychic ninja!
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-24 at 02:56 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It wasn't errated, it was reprinted in Complete Psionic. They gave Energy Stun the same DC fix.

The "best" use of this power is to use Sonic damage, and target your opponent, his weapon, his shield, his armor, and his pants. He's left hurt, unarmed, unarmored, and embarrassingly pantsless.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post
    It wasn't errated, it was reprinted in Complete Psionic. They gave Energy Stun the same DC fix.

The "best" use of this power is to use Sonic damage, and target your opponent, his weapon, his shield, his armor, and his pants. He's left hurt, unarmed, unarmored, and embarrassingly pantsless.
    But then you must face the deadly wrath of the One-Eyed Trouser Snake!
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2008-12-24 at 03:32 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    That's what the NEXT batch of missiles is for.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

But who takes Ranged Sunder?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I don't think thats valid, but I don't have access to srd at work to check.

I would never let that fly in one of my games though.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It's pretty balanced on the whole. It's the reason that psions can manage blaster roles better than a wizard can. Take that away, and they drop even further below casters.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Even if it wasn't reprinted, wizards are significantly better at this. I remember Metamagicking up Orbs from the Conjuration school gave something like 3000 average damage, no save.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

"Target: Up to five creatures or objects; no two targets can be more than 15 ft. apart." This has been a valid use of the power since its first printing in XPH.

The Ranged Sunder feat has absolutely no affect on this power, that feat only allows you to use bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing weapons to make sunder attempts at a distance. The power automatically hits its intended targets and they get a Reflex save for half, objects normally take half damage from energy sources but Sonic deals full damage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    It's pretty balanced on the whole. It's the reason that psions can manage blaster roles better than a wizard can. Take that away, and they drop even further below casters.
    Yeah, I say let the Psions have the blaster role. Even with said blasting power, it's not like they can match the cheese potential of the Wizard and Sorceror.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Psions are what wizards were supposed to be: they're more balanced, perform the role Wizards expected them to, power points are much better than Vancian magic, and harnessing your inner potential through sheer intellect and willpower is much cooler than learning magic by mind-numbingly boring years of memorizing arcane incantantions and gestures.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-12-24 at 06:07 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

"Target: Up to five creatures or objects; no two targets can be more than 15 ft. apart." This has been a valid use of the power since its first printing in XPH.

The Ranged Sunder feat has absolutely no affect on this power, that feat only allows you to use bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing weapons to make sunder attempts at a distance. The power automatically hits its intended targets and they get a Reflex save for half, objects normally take half damage from energy sources but Sonic deals full damage.
    Ah, so purely a houserule on my part then. I have no problem utilizing the no stick in my games.
    Aratos Tell
    HP:53/53 AC:19,FlatFooted:16,Touch:13
    Active Effects: Speak w/Animals
    Spells Prepared: Cure Minor Wounds*4, Flare, Calm Animals, Charm Animal, Cure Light Wounds, Animal Messenger, Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration, Hold Animal, Cure Mod. Wounds*2, Speak w/Plants

Megiddo
    HP:26/26 PP: 40/40 AC:14,FlatFooted:13,Touch:13
    Active Effects:
    Spells Prepared: Light*2, Burning Hands*2, Protection f/Evil, Magic Missile, Shocking Grasp, See Invis., Acid Arrow, Scorching Ray*2

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Oh thank the many gods there wasn't a link for that!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Biffoniacus_Furiou View Post

Yeah... unless you're running Vow of Poverty or some such, that's a bad idea for the same reason that Disjunction is a bad idea - destroys the loot.

Handy for the DM that needs to cut back on character wealth, though...
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/..._Trouser_Snake

Someone requested a link to a trouser snake?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

not really, you can do far more damage with arcane magic or a charger. One improper energy immunity that you didn't know about and all your damage goes to waste.

Now fire seeds and telekinesis (especially in combination), that is overpowered.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    not really, you can do far more damage with arcane magic or a charger. One improper energy immunity that you didn't know about and all your damage goes to waste.
    That hits arcane harder than psionics. Psions can switch hit their element every blast between all the basic options except acid, which IIRC warlocks get the best of. An arcane that prepares a ton of fire blasting spells can't really do anything against a fire elemental, but a psion's blasts are all elements at once, which is why arcanists never prepare for a single encounter type, and make poor blasters. Sorcerers with rapid metamagic and energy substitution also make decent blasters for the same reason psions do.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Basically. The whole reason psions are better at wizards than blasting is because they can get access to nearly every flavor and type of blasting there is by taking a single power... it doesn't mean that blasting-oriented psions are "optimal", but it means you might as well grab Energy Missile / Energy Ray, since it's so many things rolled into one.

A caster who wanted all that would have to memorize/learn a ton of different spells, and without various other feats or abilities many of them would become useless under the wrong situations.
    Last edited by Aquillion; 2008-12-25 at 03:48 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

or he could just use force damage, and call it a day.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skjaldbakka View Post
    Ah, so purely a houserule on my part then. I have no problem utilizing the no stick in my games.
    I quite agree. My call would be that only unattended objects are targetable, and the mans equipment is part of the man.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

That's why you need Ranged Sunder. It's the same way you sever a hydra's heads.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

He did say that he was targeting his "weapon"...
    Many thanks to Gorbash Kazdar for the excellent avatar.

As treebeard said: "Don't be hasty"