New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [4e] Standard Action = Minor+Move Action but Minor+Move Action =I Standard Action ?

I can substitute my stadard action for example a additional Move action and a minor action or thre minor actions.

Why can't i loose my move and minor action of the turn to get 2 standard actions ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Standard Action = Minor+Move Action but Minor+Move Action =I Standard Action

In SWSE that's a full-round action, basically. And you have to have a means of taking advantage of that (like Double/Triple attack, or a second weapon).
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [4e] Standard Action = Minor+Move Action but Minor+Move Action =I Standard Action

Because multiple standard actions gets unbalanced real fast. Why do you think extra actions are the one thing 3.X spellcasters wanted? They're still powerful in 4E.

It also discourages the awful, stupid, uninteresting "stand still and lay down the smack" style of combat that ruled 3.X.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

You can substitute a standard action for a move action or a minor action, but that doesn't really answer your question. You can't substitute your move action and minor action because that would be wonky and overpowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

For instance, you could charge (move + basic attack), then use a melee attack power. Rather than move and then use a melee attack power.

Yep, that got unbalanced real fast.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Because static damage bonuses get silly when factoring in multiple attacks.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

It's a basic principle in 4e: you can substitute "lesser" actions, never "higher". If you want two standard actions, that's what action points are for.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    I can substitute my stadard action for example a additional Move action and a minor action or thre minor actions.

Why can't i loose my move and minor action of the turn to get 2 standard actions ?
    It's not exactly z=y+x, it's z>y+x.

You can trade more for less but not less for more. Similarly, you can expend the effort of moving and doing something simple in place of doing something like swinging a sword, but you can't swing a sword with the same effort of doing something simple and moving.
    Sig'd

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Because it makes ranged characters (who don't generally have to move), much, much better.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by jcsw View Post
    It's not exactly z=y+x, it's z>y+x.

You can trade more for less but not less for more. Similarly, you can expend the effort of moving and doing something simple in place of doing something like swinging a sword, but you can't swing a sword with the same effort of doing something simple and moving.
    Ok thanks, that explains everything thankyou.
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What? No, you can't... the trade down is one-to-one, a standard action for a move or a minor, or a move action for a minor. Where are you getting the two for one deal?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Because it makes ranged characters (who don't generally have to move), much, much better.
    Precisely. For example, if you could trade in Move and Minor for a Standard, a 1st level Ranger could make 4 attacks per round with Twin Strike. There's obviously something wrong here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    What? No, you can't... the trade down is one-to-one, a standard action for a move or a minor, or a move action for a minor. Where are you getting the two for one deal?
    I was gonna say...
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, as people have said upthread, this is wrong. You start out with a standard, a move, and a minor. You can trade:

a standard action:
    for a move action,
    or a minor action;

a move action:
    for a minor action;

or a minor action:
    for nothing.

That's all you can do.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Because, IIRC, you can't switch your standard for a move+minor. You can switch it for a move or a minor. You can thus take two moves and a minor, or a move and two minors in a round.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Tsotha-lanti View Post
    For instance, you could charge (move + basic attack), then use a melee attack power. Rather than move and then use a melee attack power.
    You'd have to reverse the order.

A charge ENDS your turn immediately after, unless you spend an action point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler