New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default 4e SRD out tomorrow?

Back when 4e came out, I heard that the SRD would be released on Jan 1 2009. Is this true? Will it be free? I haven't read the rules yet.

It will be nice, if I am correct, to see the new rules. Will it be released like the 3.5 SRD?

If it is, I will be happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: 4e SRD out tomorrow?

The 4e SRD will not be released like the 3.5 SRD. No 4e material is OGL.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

4E is never going to have a free set of the rules like 3.5 did. Probably at least partly because of the situation WotC is in right now, where 3.5 is proving very hard to kill.
    "It's not like chess, where choosing to play black or white dictates your entire strategy. Also, chess doesn't have steam cannons."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Its already out...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talkkno View Post
    Its already out...
    But not in the form he assume's (if I understand the OP correctly)
    My players are making me understand why game designers put red blinking lights on Weak spots

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

I mean like the 3.5 one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
    xanaphia has gained: A Metal Head's approval!
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Link to 4E SRD and license.

It are not rules.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    4E is never going to have a free set of the rules like 3.5 did. Probably at least partly because of the situation WotC is in right now, where 3.5 is proving very hard to kill.
    Seems to me that if they really wanted to give 4e a shot at "killing" 3.5, they'd release MORE of it free.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, one huge problem with giving things away is that it reduces the chances of people spending money on it. I think just releasing small previews is wise to be honest.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest Fennac View Post
    To be fair, one huge problem with giving things away is that it reduces the chances of people spending money on it. I think just releasing small previews is wise to be honest.
    Well, here's the thing: virtually nobody who would otherwise have bought 3.5 only used the SRD. If people got into it online because someone pointed out the SRD was available, they soon discovered other people had more material they weren't aware of. In the end, they either bought or downloaded everything they could.

Now with 4e, nobody's getting that initial free exposure, so the impetus to buy is less. However, if people really want to see it, they can still download it just as easily as they could the 3.5 material. (And pirate pdf copies were available on just about every usual source before the game was even for sale--and better quality copies than 3.5 ever had since they were original printing documents rather than scanned and OCRed books.)

The SRD made 3.5 into a monster. 4e doesn't have that advantage.
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-12-31 at 09:53 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talya View Post
    The SRD made 3.5 into a monster. 4e doesn't have that advantage.
    That makes me happy - maybe bad attempts to convert each and every setting to DND rules will die out now. There are few settings that work well with 4e rules and even less with 3.5 rules.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    There are few settings that work well with 4e rules and even less with 3.5 rules.
    Unfortunately, Forgotten Realms is not one of the few settings that work well with 4e rules, yet here we are.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

I guess you have a point. Why doesn;t FR work well with the 4th Edition? I think I remember hearing about a campaing-specific event which was used to somehow explain the 4th Edition changes.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I guess you have a point. Why doesn;t FR work well with the 4th Edition? I think I remember hearing about a campaing-specific event which was used to somehow explain the 4th Edition changes.
    They had to completely gut and reshape Faerun into something that doesn't resemble the previous world at all, fluffwise, just so that it matched the 4e crunch.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

It sounds as though they would have been better off not bothering. I can see why some races would need to be altered, but how else did it need to be changed?
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I'd love to see how they end up re-statting Dri**t (again) to be able to 'explain' all the Mary Sueing he does in the books, that some player can't just steal for their own use.

Either they're going to have to nerf the 'iconics', or you've got a plot hole the size of a mac truck players can use for the purposes of power creep.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Of course, Faerun doesn't work at all under 3.5 rules, because Elminster could get into some infinite power loop and send angels to solve every problem as soon as it appears, unless he is a massive jerk. Faerun in 3.5 is basically assuming that none of the high-level wizards is going to break out the cheese and auto-win the setting, which would be the best course of action for any of them to take. The problem with the 4e conversion is that they had to make the setting match the 4e fluff, which goes much farther than the 3.5 fluff ever did and is built far deeper into the ruleset, particularly with the planes.
    Last edited by zeruslord; 2008-12-31 at 11:20 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I'd love to see how they end up re-statting Drizzt (again) to be able to 'explain' all the Mary Sueing he does in the books, that some player can't just steal for their own use.

Either they're going to have to nerf the 'iconics', or you've got a plot hole the size of a mac truck players can use for the purposes of power creep.
    Drizzt isn't a particularly powerful iconic, nor a very good example of a "mary-sue." He's a decently written, nicely balanced, and interesting character. The complaints arise from the teeming masses of unoriginal copycats who use the same type of background for the emo-angst factor.

Quote Originally Posted by zeruslord View Post
    Of course, Faerun doesn't work at all under 3.5 rules, because Elminster could get into some infinite power loop and send angels to solve every problem as soon as it appears, unless he is a massive ****. Faerun in 3.5 is basically assuming that none of the high-level wizards is going to break out the cheese and auto-win the setting, which would be the best course of action for any of them to take. The problem with the 4e conversion is that they had to make the setting match the 4e fluff, which goes much farther than the 3.5 fluff ever did and is built far deeper into the ruleset, particularly with the planes.
    None of the high level wizards in Faerun are that high level. I think even Elminster's caster level doesn't break 30, if I recall, and he's the highest level character in the entire setting. He's got a much higher ECL, but a lot of that is template level and other sub-optimal multiclass combinations (he has levels of fighter and cleric, for example.) He also spends much/most of his time planetravelling. I don't even remember that he has epic spellcasting, at all. (In fact, I don't believe Epic Spellcasting has ever, fluffwise or crunchwise, been included in Faerun.)

Anyway, what I said above about Drizzt not being much of a "mary-sue"? While true about Drizzt, it's not true about Elminster--the Avatar of Ed Greenwood and pretty much the classic example of a "mary-sue" character.
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-12-31 at 10:51 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, Forgotten Realms is not one of the few settings that work well with 4e rules, yet here we are.
    Fortunately, the only setting I could care less about than Generic Realms is Generichawk - I got the FRPG book for swordmage, genasi and other crunch, and have yet to even start reading the parts about fluff at the end of the book.

And you don't need epic spellcasting to break the world. Ask Tippy.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2008-12-31 at 10:53 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

What do you mean about asking Tippy about breaking a world, Tengu?
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

This thread reinforces my belief that 4ed Realms are tailored for people who didn't like that setting in 3rd edition. It also amazes me how people are apparently expecting a setting to strictly follow the rules they complain about endlessly, i.e magic rules.
    Also, I'll just note that many "iconics" are in fact massive wimps optimization-wise, including Drizzt.
    And finally, I wonder how will Eberron fare in 4th edition. Not that I'd touch that setting with a ten feet pole in any case, but it doesn't really fit 4ed's "Points of Light" concept.
    Last edited by Morty; 2008-12-31 at 10:57 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

It sounds as though they would have been better off not bothering. I can see why some races would need to be altered, but how else did it need to be changed?
    The mechanics of spellcasting were part of the setting fluff. Of course, they're gone now.

They utterly destroyed magic in the realms, including the Weave and the Goddess who maintained it, and the Shadoweave. They decimated the rich pantheon that the realms had (one of the main things I loved about it.) And, as you said, they completely changed/retconned several races and monsters to "fit" with 4e.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rt View Post
    And finally, I wonder how will Eberron fare in 4th edition. Not that I'd touch that setting with a ten feet pole in any case, but it doesn't really fit 4ed's "Points of Light" concept.

I'm expecting Eberron to fair better. For one, 4e has the complete buy-in of Eberron's creator. Secondly, Eberron doesn't already have as rich and detailed a level of history to need retconning. Lastly, I think Eberron's style never did fit 3.5 all that well. I actually look forward to seeing it's 4e adaption. I may take that opportunity to play both in my first 4e and first Eberron campaign.
    Last edited by Talya; 2008-12-31 at 11:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waspinator View Post
    Probably at least partly because of the situation WotC is in right now, where 3.5 is proving very hard to kill.
    Granted, 3.5 has the almighty power of Pun-Pun at it's disposal, as well as a veritable horde of cheesy creations.

"As the newcomers from the land of Forthediction ready their powers, they are instantly cowed by the broken monsters that spew forth from the outlying hills. Older than the primordials themselves, these beings walked the earth even before the dragonborn, and sought to wipe out the existence of the Forthediction.

Martial and Arcane powers meet with formidable spiked chains and halfling-double-rapier blades as the the hordes of Three-Poinfive clash against the armies of Forthediction. The armies battle on in a conflict that promises to undo the world as we know it...."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

Of course if they left it alone, you would have the FR fanboys demanding that their favorite setting be massively retconned and changed so that it would fit the 4e rules. Which any update would require.

So yeah, damned if you do damned if you don't

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'm expecting Eberron to fair better. For one, 4e has the complete buy-in of Eberron's creator. Secondly, Eberron doesn't already have as rich and detailed a level of history to need retconning. Lastly, I think Eberron's style never did fit 3.5 all that well. I actually look forward to seeing it's 4e adaption. I may take that opportunity to play both in my first 4e and first Eberron campaign.
    Well, on one hand, FR fits the "Good vs. Evil" theme that's so strong in 4ed much better. On the other hand, Eberron was tailored into resembling action movies just like 4ed. So yeah, it's not sure.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

What do you mean about asking Tippy about breaking a world, Tengu?
    Tippy constantly proves with his ideas that even low level wizards can completely change the world around them. And a high level wizard who's not ruling at least a small country is either uninterested, or not trying hard enough.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Well, on one hand, FR fits the "Good vs. Evil" theme that's so strong in 4ed much better. On the other hand, Eberron was tailored into resembling action movies just like 4ed. So yeah, it's not sure.
    Think about what you just said... think very carefully...this is mentioning an ancient horror that makes even Cuthulu cringe in absolute abject horror

*curls up in a corner, rocking back and forth* There was no D&D movie... there was no D&D movie... there was no D&D movie...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Think about what you just said... think very carefully...this is mentioning an ancient horror that makes even Cuthulu cringe in absolute abject horror

*curls up in a corner, rocking back and forth* There was no D&D movie... there was no D&D movie... there was no D&D movie...
    Luckily, I haven't had the "pleasure" to watch that movie.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

I don't see that "Good vs. Evil" theme being stronger in 4ed. I think they toned it down from 3.x, making everything more relative, getting rid of the good vs. evil symetry from 3.x.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

I never got the alignment changes (I can't see any reason why a character can't be Chaotic and Good or Lawful and Evil, for instance).
    Spoiler
    Show