New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Out Tuckering Tucker

We have all heard of "tucker's kobolds". But I have been told that they are made obsolete by the advent of 3.x. I want to see if we can make a better version for 3.x.

The Rules
    1 kobolds and goblins only no other races and no templates applied to them, a half gold dragon goblin can beat the entire party but that is not in the spirt of the contest
    2 level cap of say 8. Again, it is not about twisting a kobold into a party killer it is about using a stock monster in a new and dangerous way.

that is about it for the moment go wild
    Last edited by kopout; 2009-01-09 at 07:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Now you're attempting to model physics when arguing your case for armor made by a guy who explicitly tells the laws of physics to sit down and shut up whenever he starts tinkering stacking with regular armor. Stop that.
    Miny city!
    Industrial miny city!
    transportation!
    round one, fight!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Out Tuckering Tucker

1. Scurry Holes:

Any dungeon large enough for the Players to walk into will also contain tiny holes large enough for the kobolds\goblins to squeeze through, but far too small for the player races to fit inside. These can be overcome by a variety of means (summoning smaller creatures, small party members, etc.) - but they're a good start to the madness, and allow you to put Goblins\kobolds anywhere you want, have them appear and disappear at will, etc.

2. Murder holes:

Small holes large enough to shoot weapons through, but too small to be traveled through, granting concealment.

Protip: Create crawlspaces above the normal caverns, with stone slots that open up and dump out alchemical concoctions. Acid is good. Alchemist's fire is better. Get large pots of boiling oil and ramped floors so you can poor it behind the adventurers, and have it flow downhill, prompting a reflex save to avoid falling down and getting immersed in the stuff.

3. Install deadfalls, either as normal traps or stoneworked ones that can be struck to fall down. Don't expect to damage the PC's with it, just let the small races sneak up behind the PC's, collapse the deadfall, and trap the PC's in these halls of death

more later.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kopout View Post
    We have all heard of "tucker's kobolds". But I have been told that they are made obsolete by the advent of 3.x. I want to see if we can make a better version for 3.x.

The Rules
    1 kobolds and goblins only no other races and no templates applied to them, a half gold dragon goblin can beat the entire party but that is not in the spirt of the contest
    2 level cap of say 8. Again, it is not about twisting a kobold into a party killer it is about using a stock monster in a new and dangerous way.

Um the whole point of tuckers isnt that its one big bad kobold.
    No levels needed

A level 8 party should be able to handle an EL 12 challenge right?

so that's what, 6 sets of 20 groups of kobolds attacking from muderholes?
    please excuse my splling, im dysgraic

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Traps. Lots, and lots of traps.

A group of basic kobolds, put there mainly as decor, nearly wiped out a 10th level party with a combination of traps and missile weapons. Give the kobolds cover to defend against line of sight, have them catch the party in crossfire, and have the party have to cross traps to enter melee.

Instant fear of kobolds.

Throw in a few kobold sorcerers with magic missile and have them target the casters, and you have the characters fleeing.

Make it worse by having the party in some sort of unstable underground area where it can be dangerous to use area of effect spells, and watch players cry.
    My gaming site Looking for contributors, designers, and artists!
    The Dragon Codex
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    I want it to be noted that you're good people. Seriously, you're a saint.

5. - Top - End - #5

Kobalds with max ranks/feats, etc. in diplomacy.
    Hey. Do you want to help make a game?

Due to real life issues, I have been gon without warning for a while. I seem to be back now until further notice.

Thanks to Szilard for the Avatar!

If I am ever wrong, feel free to correct me. Learning is awesomesauce.

I like to edit my posts. A lot. As you may see, most of my posts will be edited, so if one is not, and you care about what I said, you may want to check it again a minute later.

Yes.

6. - Top - End - #6

As far as class levels go, I'm far of kobold champions with the shield wall feat. When they're a challenge for the party, the party can't hit them with most forms of attack. So they have to be a little creative. We discovered bullrush.

Also, Kobold swordsages with abilities from the.. Tiger Claw? Discipline. Most PCs are medium. Kobolds are small. There is a lot of annoyance in that. Throw down some kaltrops and have the kobolds switch into the 'hazardous terrain' stance and watch them piss off the party as they judo everybody around.

7. - Top - End - #7

This one only works with kobolds: swarms and swarms of mosquitoes populate the place. Since the kobolds have natural armor one, they aren't bothered by the pests, but all the casters have to succeed on Concentration checks.

The ground can literally be covered in traps if we go with the crawlspaces from above approach. But this leads to the question "If the kobolds wanted it to be impossible to travel through, why did they make the wide lower passages at all?" We can only assume that access to the crawlspace is granted by that lower passage, that at times high volumes of kobolds need to traverse it, and perhaps also other creatures are allowed to pass through. This is certainly the case in the original Tucker's Kobolds in which they were just the first level of many. So most of the traps have to be avoidable if you know what to look for, able to be disabled from the other side, or need a kobold to activate them.

A pack of ravenous dogs/wolves/worgs. When the kobolds need to let people pass, they just feed the dogs. Of course, the dogs aren't really there to kill the more powerful ones, just to be another encumbrance/distraction/attack. Hopefully by getting the casters with enough things, the easy solutions to the problems should be avoidable.

Someone who understands the nuances of the Disintegrate spell better than I has to verify this, but here's one to counteract that spell. In between the floor of the crawlspace and the ceiling of the wider room below is loosely packed rubble. So if the caster tries to bring down the kobolds than they fail at that task, and crush anything beneath their target (hopefully one of the PCs or blocking a passage). If it is inconvenient (or a give-away) that the floor is "wide" where the holes are, than it can slope down around the holes (so the floor/ceiling takes a kind of trapezoid shape in the plane between adjacent holes). [For those wondering about the legality of this, questions to consider are: a) Whether a feat of architecture can cause things to count as different objects. b) Whether disintegrate only targets one target. c) Whether one object can count as total cover for another object in the context of disintegrate d) What occurs when living creatures are within a 'nonliving cube' targeted by disintegrate (if the building does count as a single object).]
    Last edited by Prometheus; 2009-01-09 at 11:58 PM.
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

8. - Top - End - #8

HalfOrcPirate

Kobolds with Confound the Big Folk. I think that they qualify by virtue of their Slight Build racial ability. They can stand in the spaces of the PCs and make the others helping out the hapless PC have a 50% chance to hit the PC that they're helping out.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Thunderstone salvos. Deafened condition and give casters a 20% chance to miscast spells with verbal components for 1 hour.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"The Keyhole Kobold": Ok, Ok, the name is a bit of an exaggeration but this is a cruel trick. A Female Kobold Warrior 1 with Tunnel Fighting.
    What, did that seem too simple? Let me spell it out for you.

A Female kobold's minimum height, according to Races of the Dragon, is 2 feet. Thanks to sleight build, she can fit into areas 1 foot without penalty. With tunnel fighting, she can go through crampt tunnels (up to 6 inches in diameter) without taking the normal attack and AC penalties.

Now, let's take a look at the shortest PC from the PHB, a female halfling 2'8'' tall. Now, for fun, let's say that this PC is targeted by a Reduce Person Spell, reducing her height to 1'4''. Even to this Halfling, the 6-inch hole is, according to the Dungeon Master's Guide II, a Crawl-Navigable space.

What does this mean? First, this means that they have to take off their medium armor, heavy armor, backpacks, and other bulky items (which are stolen by kobolds unless the party drags the items behind them.)
    Next, they are restricted to a speed of 5 feet whereas the Kobold can move 15 feet per round, a huge advantage to the kobold.
    In addition, the penalties of being prone apply, meaning an additional -4 to AC against melee attacks and to attack rolls (along with the +4 bonus against ranged attacks, I suppose).

Of course, this is just for halflings, gnomes, and some dwarves. Anyone else treats this area as an Akward space (while under the effects of a reduce person spell). Meaning that they need an escape artist check just to move and that one-handed weapons are now unusable.

Well, so far, you've seen how I've turned a standard kobold, with a simple exchanged feat, into a master of running through difficult tunnels. How am I going to turn this into a serious threat?

The answer is simple. the kobold's tunnel has a huge amount of small criss-crossing passages that allow the kobold to lure the party in while consistently maintaining complete cover against them by hiding behind earthen columns. For example, the kobold can take one step back and two to the left or right to put a column directly between her and the party.
    Meanwhile, the kobold goads the party onwards with loud boasts and the occasional crossbow bolt.

What is the kobold doing, you may ask. Well, as I have mentioned, it is only feasable for any PHB race to enter this dungeon with help from Reduce Person. The kobold is stalling until these effects wear off.

When this happens, even the smallest female gnome suddenly fins themselves in a crawl-navigable area and the larger races find themselves in Tight Squeezes. Of course, enemies in Tight Squeezes can't fight at all and need an incredibly high escape artist check to move at all.

But how high is that check, really? Assuming that the party has four characters and three of them all succeed on aid another checks to help the fourth, that player needs a +4 bonus between their ranks in escape artist and their Dexterity modifier or else it becomes literally impossible for them to move (as natural 20s are not automatic successes). Of course, the only three PHB classes with escape artist are the bard, monk, and rogue, making it quite possible for at least one player to get completely stuck.

Making this Battle Tougher:
    Oh, I see you wanted to make your players cry today. Well, you came to the right place. However, for this version, I'm pumping up the kobold from a CR 1/4 creature to a CR 1. However, the changes made greatly increase the kobold's chances of killing the party all by itself (just 1 kobold) rather than requiring a den of them like in Tucker's kobolds.
    Some of you may think that I just switched the warrior level for a pc level. This is not the case, however. Instead, this kobold has 4 levels in Adept. Remember, a kobold with levels in an NPC class has a CR equal to its levels -3.

Behold the advanced keyhole kobold:
    Female Kobold Adept 4; Small Dragon; 12 hp; +0 initiative; speed 40 feet; AC 14 (+1 size, +1 Natural, +2 leather); Heavy Crossbow +3 (1d8); Spell-like abilities (Shield 1/day), Spells (spells prepared 0: Ghost Sound (3); 1: Protection from Good (2), Obscuring Mist; 2: Invisibility); Familiar (Toad), Slight Build, Darkvision 60 ft., light sensativity; Fort +1, Ref +1, Will +4; Str 7, Dex 11, Con 10, Wis 14, 8 Cha; Hide +13, Survival +10; Dragonwraught Kobold, Tunnel Fighting; CR 1

What I did:
    1. I rearranged the base stats of the kobold from the monster manual and added the +1 stat bonus from 4th level to wisdom.
    2. I gave the kobold the quick trait (unearthed arcana), making its speed advantage over the rest of the party in the tunnels just that much more impressive.
    3. The Kobold has gone through the draconic rite of passage, gaining the ability to use shield 1/day. I have chosen shield because it compensates for the Kobold's lowered AC and absorbs magic missile attacks (a favorite mage tactic at low levels)
    4. The Kobold has both the Tunnel Fighting and Dragonwraught Kobold (black dragon) Feats. This means that the kobold gains an additional +2 bonus on hide checks and that she is no longer vulnerable to sleep or paralysis effects (two of the few ways normal parties could otherwise incapacitate this kobold)
    5. The Kobold has sprung for cross class ranks in hide, which recieves bonuses from his dragonwraught kobold feat, small size, and slight build.
    6. The Kobold has a toad familiar (he was lacking in hit points after the draconic rite of passage and quick trait).
    7. The Kobold has access to a good number of spells including ghost sound (distraction), Obscurring Mist (stall tactic), Protection from good (another AC booster that also grants the kobold immunity to charm and compulsion effects, another way that some parties would seek to end the battle early), and Invisibility (the perfect stall tactic).

Have Fun!
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

So your playing alien then?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Three L4 Goblin Fighters with the following feats:

Level1: Weapon Finesse (Something pointy)
    Fighter1: Dodge
    Fighter2: Mobility
    Level3: Swarmfighting (CW)
    Fighter4: Spring Attack

Combo these guys with the abovementioned Scurry Holes, have them cross-class in Move Silently (thank you +4 racial) and you have some really aggravating marauders. Why must their weapon be pointy? Why, because bludgeons can't deliver the cheap poison they're using between strafes, most favorably Bloodroot so they don't see the threat right away. You didn't think +8 against a flat-footed AC was just for 1d4 damage, did you? ...Fine, you can have them be Rogue at level 1 and have them be L5 enemies. Hey, that makes them EL8!

Now, what's to keep the party from just ready action / move action down the aisles? Well, they're attending their initial injuries, sure, but these goblins are really sneaky SOBs, so they leave presents in their wake: Something with a blast radius, a time delay, and a free action to drop. Perhaps a few bags of some sort of explosive substance that our Terrible Trio can drop Alchemist's Fire on from murder holes? A Fort saving throw mitigator would be ideal, since the poison's damage is delayed. Is there a Bestow Curse Burst? Something to get the EL up to the aforementioned 12.

That's the initial stage, the Harrier Tunnel. At the start of the tunnel is Violet Fungus, which is what alerts the Terrible Trio. At the other end, however, is what's called the Hard Drop. One the plus side, there's a pair of 5x5 holes to send spells at the Terrible Trio. On the downside... plenty of rounds with of Climb checks going down, and a modest number of goblins at the top behind murder holes, dropping... Care to guess? Alchemist's fire! Oldy, but goody, but with a twist: The goblins are aiming above the climbers, for the ropes! Did I mention this squad of goblins is a trio of wizards just high enough to cast dispel magic? Goodbye fly, hello Worg Pit!

Ah, yes, the Hard Drop ends in a Worg Pit, with no exit or entrance. As it turns out, that murder hole is big enough for their hobgoblin allies to fit through when visiting, and the wizard in question knows floating disc. So after the PCs can enjoy the traditional cramped hack/slash, they can climb up under the bombardment of alchemic artillary and the occasional save-or-suck, because these goblins apparently really like casting dispel magic.

Once they manage to climb through the murder hole single file and kill the surrounding arcanists and their weak yet flanking summons (fiendish creatures with poisonous attacks,) they'll find a tunnel sized for Medium people, with a 10 foot ceiling... but halfway up the tunnel widens from 5 feet to 15, creating flanking footpaths for goblins that want to slip in and out the scurry holes that wall these footpaths every 10 ft. Say hello to the Third Trio, the Crossbow Snipers! 200 ft of tunnel is plenty of room for these little nightmare Scouts to outmanuever the weary party, especially when the fighting in the Murder Hole Chamber signals them to start lining the main floor with caltrops. Fun for the whole family!

There is hope to eliminate these pests once and for all, thankfully, in that there's another pair of exit holes like with the first trio. Also like with the first trio, the tunnel ends with an elaborate chamber, this time the Temple of Magubliyet! Turns out the three clerics have more cheap Summon Monster scrolls than Ayn Rand has dry reading (again, venomous fiends), and they want to keep the party nice and distracted from the Third Trio... Or at least two of them do, the third is busy with the MacGuffin. What, you didn't expect to have a hellhole devoid of plot, did you?

Finally, to top things off, turns out those wizardly goblins knew message, and hobgoblins worship Magubliyet too. If the party opts to head straight out before the goblins can recover, they'll run into a level appropriate hobgoblin throwdown in the open air. If they're lucky (or you're generous) the hobgoblins will already be containing a local predator that was drawn by the shriekers for a nice three-way slugout.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Use a checkerboard pattern, with one set being 80ft spiked chains, the only floor above them being light wooden boards that break if anything other than a juvenile kobold walks on them(to replace them). The other squares will be hit with grease and falling blocks fall from above.

Random greased squares will have fusilade of dart triggers and insect swarms will roam about it. A large conspicuous lock will be placed on it and the method of getting past it will be crawling through a space a kobold can barely fit through hidden behind a large rock with decoys containing basic arrow traps. A second tunnel will be long and winding, shut 30 seconds after opening, end in a pitfal trap, and have an audible alarm so the kobolds can throw nasty things in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

A better thread with this title would be about how to beat Tucker style kobolds.

As a DM you can throw arbitrarily large amounts of anything at your players and they'll be penalized exactly as much as you want. It's never an issue with, as a DM, being able to inflict whatever damage you want the players to take. The only issue is doing it while being fair, and if we're talking about Tucker style kobolds, fair isn't even on the table.

So to be grumpy, here's how I beat Tucker Kobolds: the Ranger quietly observes them for weeks before the expedition is underway... from stealth he watches their comings and goings. He memorizes the patterns they walk in, and then they send the rogue in invisibly, and put an eversmoking bottle, opened, somewhere hidden deep within the Kobold cavern. Eventually the space fills up and the Kobolds probably panic and flee, coughing from their lair. By this time, the party has a member at every known exit, and each leaving Kobold is butchered. If the Kobolds don't leave, the smoke should still trail outward from every exit. Knowing every escape hole, they can hire extra soldiers to stand near each exit, spears out and ready to kill anything that leaves the hole. The PCs then descend into the labyrinth with teamwork and methodicalness If this absolutely does NOT work, for whatever reason, and the PCs are getting hurt or disabled, they withdraw and simply board up the entrances and guard it until the Kobolds starve. If even that doesn't work... divert a nearby river into their caverns.

Of course, if they're Tucker's Kobolds, they would at that point simply pull out their Diverted River Repellent Kobold-spray of course, and then you're pretty much screwed.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

15. - Top - End - #15

I LOVE this thread.

Please, more!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Eversomoking Bottles don't work that way. They fill a fixed radius with smoke, it doesn't keep getting bigger with no cap.
    Quotebox
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    The only person in the past two pages who has known what (s)he has been talking about is Heliomance.
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I just don't want to have long romantic conversations or any sort of drama with my computer, okay? It knows what kind of porn I watch. I don't want to mess that up by allowing it to judge any of my choices in romance.

Wish building characters for D&D 3.5 was simpler? Try HeroForge Anew! An Excel-based, highly automated character builder. v7.4 now out!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Nice work, Realms of Chaos. From now on, if I ever run a game with a kobold dungeon, it shall not be conveniently adventurer-sized. That makes for a great hive and base of operations.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbration View Post
    Nice work, Realms of Chaos. From now on, if I ever run a game with a kobold dungeon, it shall not be conveniently adventurer-sized. That makes for a great hive and base of operations.
    Don't make the entire dungeon a series of six-inch pipes, of course; your party would have to be completely insane to attempt to squeeze inside in the first place. Instead, make a whole adventurer-sized dungeon, full of traps and challenges and little scraps of progress, to keep the party focused on getting farther in rather than smoking out the tunnels (not that there's anything down there but a labyrinth and many pit traps, but they don't know that).
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

How fortunate!

i just got through putting the final touches on a kobold dungeon for the campaign i have coming up.

Couple of things i used:

Stack Your Traps any truly devious brand of small bastards is going to realize that traps can be disarmed, but no one really expects to jump over the pit trap they so cleverly found into something worse. For example one of the ones i just used was a pit trap running the full horizontal length of a 20 foot corridor, and 10 feet wide, the party can disarm or jump over this trap, however, 5ft on after the far edge of the pit trap is a second trap which causes a wooden log to swing down from the ceiling propelled by tensioned springs. this serves to knock the unlucky sole who failed his reflex save back 15 foot into the pit trap. You could be even more evil and made the log a hollow centre copper tube which takes in air upon activation covering the immediate area in alchemist fire >.>

Crossbow Slits, Murder Holes, Cover Your standard low level pleb sucks at melee, and on some basic level has to understand this. Make optimal use of ranged weaponry, give them large or larger creatures ranged weapons and mount the freaking things on tripods or small palisades, works a charm

Captive Monsters Oh My! this dungeon is full of intelligent kobolds! and 3 drug crazed hill giants! self explanatory, additionally these assets are expendable, give em improved grapple to pin the party down in areas where something even nastier is going to happen to them if they don't get out quick. A flooding room and or giant rolling stone indana jones style is perfect for this. Whats worse than a enraged minotaur? a enraged minotaur with seven pounds of explosive tied to his back who determined to tackle you.

Poison and Diseases Bring em down with a dart, or so my pappy kobold always used to say.

Crawl Spaces as mentioned to great effect previously in this thread

Reach Weapons Don't let em get close, annnnnd please reference Posion and Diseases above.

Sorcery Kobolds are natural sorcerers, play this to the hilt, there's no dodging that barrage of magic missles. that greased floor, or the magic burning spiders web. Additionally you can't see much in an Obscuring Mist.

For the Kobolds themselves? rogues, that extra D6 sneak attack is nasty, especially when you can manipulate the situation to deny the party there dex, fighters work well to, for better BAB and some nice early level feat stacking.

but really? Sorcerers Sorcerers Sorcerers.

Cheers
    Sa.
    Last edited by Samakain; 2009-01-10 at 06:45 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

The concept of Tucker's Kobolds isn't obsolete though it is often misunderstood. It's not about killing the characters in combat or, for that matter, really about killing the characters at all. Go back and read the story again, the characters never fought the kobolds in any kind of standup fight. Nor were the adventurers in serious danger at any given point in time. They were only in danger if they couldn't escape and find a place to rest, heal, and recover. The adventurers were simply constantly harassed by an enemy they couldn't easily reach or block. That's what made the deeper dungeon areas a refuge. They could rest after killing off whatever big bad had claimed a territory.

The kobolds, on the other hand, harass anyone in their territory constantly. Intruders can't rest. Ever. No sleep, running out of spells, any ammo fired at momentary targets is lost, weak assistance (mules) picked off, dropped items stolen, food spoiled, etc. All done by hundreds of wimps you never even see because they're in tiny side tunnels around the one you're traveling in...and the kobolds have the numbers to work in shifts.

The side tunnels corkscrew around the main tunnels and rooms giving the kobolds dozens of murder holes at every angle. They pour acid, boiling oil, or blinding powder through holes in the ceiling, shoot crossbows through holes in the walls, stab your feet, light the oil, or even send smoke from trash fires through holes in the floor. And when you break through a wall to go after them? They cave the small tunnel in as they retreat. Digging through the blockage to follow on your hands and knees gets you ambushed at every corner by creatures who can move quickly and easily through the tiny tunnels you're crawling in...right before they get you in deep enough to cave in a section of tunnel you can't dig out of before suffocating. Don't worry, they'll loot your corpse in a month or so when they get around to rebuilding.

The kobolds don't need any class levels. If they try to fight using the adventurers' methods they're dead. They can't ever go sword to sword or spell to spell with the adventurers. Kobolds don't even want to be seen! And if they're followed? They lead chasers into their territory where they have all the advantages. Where they use conditions and terrain (constricting tunnels, darkness, etc) against anyone foolish enough to give chase. Extensive kobold warrens will have trapped areas (slides, pits, collapsing tunnels, mazes, etc) for the sole purpose of leading enemies to and losing them inside. But kobolds never, never, stand and fight. The only ways for humans to follow are to crawl or to use size reducing magic.

Kobolds aren't the top of the food chain. They have to think outside the box to survive. Most importantly, survival is their goal. Not 'honorably' beating the adventurers in a fair fight. Any sane kobold would scoff at the mere idea.

Most adventurers would be happy to simply survive. Killing the kobolds isn't worth the trouble. Not like they have much loot after all.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    Most adventurers would be happy to simply survive. Killing the kobolds isn't worth the trouble. Not like they have much loot after all.
    In fact, I'm under the impression Tucker's Kobolds are best to use on powerful but dumb adventurers, who actually WILL go for the trouble of trying to kill the kobolds, and get worn out in the process. Those who simply want to survive or get through the dungeon will be much safer. For them, the kobolds will just be a nuisance - the party goes through the dungeon quickly, so attrition won't affect them that much.

Unless, of course, the DM starts playing unfair. "Yes, the kobolds shoot at you from the murder holes. No, you can't shoot back." "Sure, you disarmed the trap under the trap... but it had another trap under itself!". But that's just nasty.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, I think the whole point of Tucker's Kobolds are to create a psychological response. The PCs in the story PREFERED to take on the high level monsters further on in the dungeon than fight the kobolds. They had no idea how many kobolds they were, where they were coming from or what they'd run into next. I think the main thing about Tucker's Kobolds is to give your PCs a unique challenge aside from taking on some massive monster with a high CR. If you keep throwing Tucker's Kobolds at them, they'll know what to expect and it won't have the same effect.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Yes, precisely. Tucker's Kobolds is about a mind game. In that spirit...
    If you're in any of my games, don't read this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Corridors lined with tiny holes. Some of these corridors are completely trap-free - but most shoot stuff at the PCs as they try to walk through. Make the holes obvious - and they have to go through some of these corridors to reach the goal. Make the traps bad enough that they can't ignore them, but not bad enough that they'll kill the party.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it'd be fun to have an abandoned building complex with Kobolds literally in the plumping. And behind the drywall.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I once heard of a story about a DM who sometimes used double-bluffs when regarding traps. Like, occasionally, he'll put a very obvious trap in the dungeon, but avoiding the trap would set off a far worse one.
    I remember one time there was a large room. The middle of the room had tiles of an obviously different colour to the rest of the floor, and a spot check would reveal there were small holes in the wall adjacent to the coloured tiles. The PCs obviously decided to move around the tiles, yet by doing so they accidently triggered a far more severe trap.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    I think it'd be fun to have an abandoned building complex with Kobolds literally in the plumping. And behind the drywall.
    Rats in the Walls?

27. - Top - End - #27

ya according to all the EL calculators i can find, about 60 kobalds i think
    maybe

any ways the whole point is 60 kobalds, lots of hiding places, and a giant pile of crossbow bolts

maybe some casters with magic missile

One Level 8 kobald isnt the point
    its the kobolds slowly, chipping away at the party
    making them use time and resorces

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

We have all heard of "tucker's kobolds". But I have been told that they are made obsolete by the advent of 3.x.
    Out of curiosity, were you given any sort of explanation or justification for that claim? It sounds quite strange to me. As Raum points out, Tucker's Kobolds have very little to do with the stats of the creatures involved.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Yeah, the use of Tucker's Kobolds is all about tactics, clever use of terrain and having PCs underestimate their enemies. I don't see why it wouldn't work in 3rd edition.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by TengYt View Post
    Yeah, the use of Tucker's Kobolds is all about tactics, clever use of terrain and having PCs underestimate their enemies. I don't see why it wouldn't work in 3rd edition.
    This is just my going theroy
    I 3rd ed has made some people think that monsters need class levels or templates to be effective or intresting