New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [3.5] Non-real world religious iconography in a polytheistic setting

I apologize for introducing a potentially religiously charged topic, but I have no idea where to turn. I do not mean to offend anyone's religious beliefs, and am merely asking this question in the interest of helping create the fluff for my latest D&D character.

I'm finally going to make that paladin I asked about a while ago. My biggest problem at this moment is that I sort of want him to have a red cross on his heraldry. I got the inspiration from Spencer's epic poem The Faerie Queene, which begins with the story of Redcrosse, a young holy knight. However, we are using the standard 3.5 D&D pantheon for the game, and thus I worry that crosses would look out of place. how can I justify emblazoning my paladin's tabard and shield with a red cross if he worships Heironeous?

Note that when I say cross, I am referring to just the cross image itself, not a crucifix, which would depict the actual figure of Jesus on the cross. I just want a red cross for my heraldry, like the Knights Templar used.
    Last edited by Archpaladin Zousha; 2009-01-12 at 03:22 PM.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Christian iconography in a polytheistic setting

This will probably get locked, but I'll say my piece first.

There's all kinds of patterns and symbols in heraldry - your character could certainly have a red cross on his livery, shield etc. without it having to have any (real world) religious connotations...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If he has an order, you could make it the mark of that order.

Or what Thurbane said.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It's a purely aesthetic choice, go for it. I'm even pretty sure I've seen red crosses on some pictures in splatbooks, think it was a worshiper of either Heironeous or St. Cuthbert.

Edit: Found it, looks like a red cross to me.
    Last edited by Ryuuk; 2009-01-12 at 03:36 PM.
    Will be edited by Ryuuk : Sometime in the future.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Bretonnians in the warhammer-verse use a number of thinks originally derived from real-world iconography, despite setting being polytheistic- Templar and Hospitallar -style crosses included.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

What would it symbolize, if the religious connotations were removed?
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the symbol/tabard/heraldry/whatever of the Knights Templar?

D&D has a templar PrC in Defenders of the Faith.

Tadaa.

Really there's no reason not to do it unless you're liable to offend someone at your table. When I think 'holy knight', that's usually what I envision as well.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post
    It's a purely aesthetic choice, go for it. I'm even pretty sure I've seen red crosses on some pictures in splatbooks, think it was a worshiper of either Heironeous or St. Cuthbert.

That's actually St. Cuthbert's symbol. Check it out on pg 108 of the 3.5 PHB. It's basically a cross in a circle. If you need your mark to symbolize something, there you go.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2009-01-12 at 03:42 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

Personal/family coat of arms. It's a gules... well, a cross isn't a traditional ordinary, but there you go. Gules cross on a whatever field.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'm thinking white field, but that's just me. And the Templar PrC in DotF became the Pious Templar in Complete Divine. I don't believe I'm taking that PrC though. I'm taking Ordained Champion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

In non-christian cultures the cross is often used as a symbol of the sun (or a four-spoked or 8-spoked wheel).

For a non religious association, it could symbolise the four winds. Or, four founders of the knight's order.

You could also give it some mystical associationt of your own devising, like it represents the red start that appeared in the sky when the knight's illustrious ancestor slew the terrible demon-dragon.

Lots of choices. And, I see no reason why this thread would be locked. You're not talking about real-world religion.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

11. - Top - End - #11

Fish is another interesting icon.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

According to Wikipedia, the cross was also a symbol of the four elements, as well as the four cardinal directions and red is a symbol of Mars, and iron, in alchemy. So this house could be heavily funding research into alchemy for war purposes, and or exploration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

As a symbol of health or foundation, perhaps?
    Need a place to hang? Like Discord? Don't mind dealing with a capricious demon lord? Then you're welcome to join our LGBTQ+ friendly, often silly, very geeky server to discuss food, music, video games, tabletop, and much more.

Manual of the Planes 5th Edition: for all the things the official 5E Planescape didn't cover. Check it out.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zousha Omenohu View Post
    What would it symbolize, if the religious connotations were removed?
    Depends on the type of cross you use.

Crux Ordinaria, or Latin Cross, the one with the two simple bars, is used in Christianity because of Christ's Crucifixion, which was a common (and grisly, demoralizing, and humiliating) means of execution in the Roman Empire.

Most crosses come from Christian sources, and from the Order of Hospitallers is where the American Red Cross and the first-aid cross seem to come from.

If you're using the Latin Cross, it would probably represent his family/knightly order's history of business as executioners: Red for the blood of the punished criminal, and the cross to represent both the cross and sword as means of execution.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-01-12 at 04:01 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Another thought is that a cross looks similar to a sword pointed down. That might be a symbol of conquest or or peace, depending on how you interpret "down". Red as a colour has some pretty significant meaning in heraldry, google around for various heraldric symbology for more details. I know my fraternity has colors on their crest which are symbolic, but I can't tell you what they mean :P

Really, just make something up. Use the wind idea, or maybe there were 4 brothers who started the order/family/country whatever. That would also give you an oath! You could swear "by the Four" or something like that. Actually, it would be best if you layered it on even more. I know a few of the symbols on my fraternity crest have double and triple meanings, making them even stronger figures. Its a fantasy game....go nuts!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's a fairly basic geometric shape, so there is no end to the potential symbolism. Maybe an ancestor his his once did somthing famous involving a crossroads, perhaps it's a stylized crossbow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Maybe some tailor decided one day to put perpendicular red stripes on a white tabard. It caught on and suddenly everyone's walking around with 'em.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Crosses can be used as heraldic devices in plenty of other contexts. It's a fairly simple symbol and, for that matter, was a distressingly common form of execution. It could symbolize martyrdom in that context, the Sun in other classical contexts, the elements (or anything else with four parts), or a lower-case "t". For "time to go", you see.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2009-01-12 at 04:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

19. - Top - End - #19

a star with long vertical and horizontal rays can be a cross of sorts- doesn't have to tie into the execution item.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

As far as I know, 'fairytale christianity' has been implicit in Gygaxian D&D from when it was still Chainmail. The equipment list of OD&D even has wooden and silver crosses, not 'holy symbols' (mind you, neither are they crucifixes).

I can understand not wanting to discuss real-world religions on the forums, but what's stopping you from using moderately well-known symbolism in a home game? It's probably better than trying to disguise it by replacing it with a random symbol from alchemy, or trying to argue a symbol closely associated with a religious order (and, you know, the Red Cross) is actually something entirely fantastical.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or describe it, not as a cross, but a white field quartered by red. Maybe you support the unification of some holy enterprise, after a bloody schism.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    ...or a lower-case "t". For "time to go", you see.
    I see what you did there.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

23. - Top - End - #23

If you use this type of cross it means you're the eighth son in your family. No reason why it couldn't be red. Actually, it's red here.
    Thanks to Daryk for the Paladin avatar. Darius Sungold. 1648 OOC.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    As far as I know, 'fairytale christianity' has been implicit in Gygaxian D&D from when it was still Chainmail. The equipment list of OD&D even has wooden and silver crosses, not 'holy symbols' (mind you, neither are they crucifixes).
    Ah, yes, good ol' Bahamut, the literal (well, almost...) Crystal Dragon Jesus.

25. - Top - End - #25

RangerGuy

Well, the 'cross' could represent a stylized warhammer.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeivar View Post
    Well, the 'cross' could represent a stylized warhammer.
    That would work well, it's what a lot of the Norse converts did with Thor's Hammer, it was pretty easy to turn that into a cross.

And I'm not surprised St. Cuthbert has a cross symbol, considering he's a real-world saint.

But yeah, use whatever symbols you like, it doesn't mean they have to correspond to how they're treated by real-world religions or organizations as long as you don't treat them the same way. Shoot, symbols change in the real world too, just look at the long history of the swastika.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

I don't see why you can't have it mean whatever you want. It's your shield so you can put whatever you want on it.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground

Maybe he's part of a special order. Now, I'm borrowing heavily from Fiendish Codex II, so I apologize, but it will make sense.

In the beginning, there were demons. Eventually, several of the Lawful deities popped up, and began fighting the demons. They soon grew tired, and made angels to do the work for them. More time went by and, to keep the focus on my point, some of the angels separated themselves in order to, effectively, give mortals something to fear if they defy the god's will.

These angels became the devils.

Heironeous was one of the first deities.

Maybe, the original Lawful deities have established an order to work together in unison, in order to face the threat of demons and, quite possibly, devils as well (right now, they don't fear the devils much, since they're fighting an essential eternal battle that will last to the end of time (although that could change...)). The order's symbol is a red cross.

Now, ideally, there would be 4 patron deities of this order, and it can work with the original lawful deities because they started with one purpose: to prevent the universe from being devoured by demons. Alternatively, you can limit it to good-deities, because... well, it's more acceptable than the idea of an unholy allegiance.

Also, it'd be easier to explain the symbol if it was limited to four deities: much like Christianity has the Father, the Sun, and the Holy Spirit, which has been adapted quite successfully to the cross (kinda), you can say that each point represents a deity.

That's just my swing at it, though.
    I find D&D to be quite educational... No where else could they get me interested in math or statistics...

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Where did you start yours?
    I had two of the PCs in the center of a gang of orcs. Then, the third PC and my DM-run character came in to assist... Then they chose to go to the tavern.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuuk View Post

Because Saint Cuthbert the deity is directly lifted from the personage of Cuthbert of Lindisfarne, patron saint of Northumbria. He was, of course, a Christian figure, hence permitting the introduction of Christian iconography into Greyhawk.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zousha Omenohu View Post
    I apologize for introducing a potentially religiously charged topic, but I have no idea where to turn. I do not mean to offend anyone's religious beliefs, and am merely asking this question in the interest of helping create the fluff for my latest D&D character.

I'm finally going to make that paladin I asked about a while ago. My biggest problem at this moment is that I sort of want him to have a red cross on his heraldry. I got the inspiration from Spencer's epic poem The Faerie Queene, which begins with the story of Redcrosse, a young holy knight. However, we are using the standard 3.5 D&D pantheon for the game, and thus I worry that crosses would look out of place. how can I justify emblazoning my paladin's tabard and shield with a red cross if he worships Heironeous?

Note that when I say cross, I am referring to just the cross image itself, not a crucifix, which would depict the actual figure of Jesus on the cross. I just want a red cross for my heraldry, like the Knights Templar used.
    Red crosses just look cool. Slap one on your shield, wear the normal holy symbol as well and call it a day. Give no religious meaning to it. I was going to give a religious answer when I saw the title, but in this case it need not be religious at all. In fact, I tend to be semi-iconoclastic myself. But for you, slap on a nice big one and make it bright.