New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default Dual Wielding Systems?

So, one thing I'd always wondered about doing was, well, dual wielding systems. Maybe a time-travel game where characters move from Firefly to M&M to D&D as needed. Maybe just a game of D&D where the players have to defend helms deep and switch over to -insert name of system that handles large scale battles well-

Any of you ever do this?
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Dual Wielding Systems?

Sounds like a lot of book-keeping.
    Not only that, but whenever you try to convert characters between systems, they never convert well generally and something is always lost.

1e AD&D had rules for mixing AD&D and Boot Hill (Six Guns & Sorcery) and also rules for mixing AD&D and Gamma World (Mutants & Magic). We played a lot of the 2nd type. It was always fun blowing up Drow with Dynamite and using Anti-Matter Missile's against Dragons.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I would say that a better bet might be to look for a generic system which can roughly represent the different settings you want to jump between.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    I would say that a better bet might be to look for a generic system which can roughly represent the different settings you want to jump between.
    Agreed. Several systems are designed to be able to handle pretty much any setting situation you can put them in (GURPS comes to mind, though I've heard that M&M does so also). BESM is purpose-built to handle multiple settings at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

My College Gaming Soc's convention runs an event every year called the Trilogy. It's 3 games, in 3 systems, with some coherent link between them. In the last 3 years they've been the same party, people from the same town at 3 points in it;s history, and this year is the same story from 3 perspectives.

Oh, and this all goes down in one day.
    Please note that this material is provided for informational purposes only and should not be considered medical advice or instruction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Shadowrun system is surprisingly good at describing use of firearms, melee attacks, spells, summoning, cybernetic implants, edges and flaws, a feat system (their Physical Adept), edges and flaws, investigation / legwork / contacts, and does an adequate job of handling vehicles. Only Car Wars did a better job of vehicular rules that I've seen (though I haven't played any space-tactical games).

I can imagine it working for anything in technology level from Ice Age to Star Wars level futuristic, magic level from None to well past D&D. You could use it for a Fallout RPG if you added a Poison / Disease variant rule for Radiation.

EDIT: I was duel-wielding "edges and flaws"
    Last edited by Tacoma; 2009-01-15 at 03:24 PM.