New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Lycantrophic Options

I was thinking of using Lycanthropy in my next campaign. Specifically, I was going to have the party go up against a group of animals who were actually were-animals, and have each character become infected.

However, I want to customize this to the party, so no one feels too screwed by it. I realize this will favor fighter types over casters, but I want to at least minimize that. I plan to alter the rules for alignment (or throw them out) and make it much harder to cure (actually, finding a cure may be the major thrust of the campaign).

I also want each character to have a different were-animal template. So, any suggestions on class/animal combinations? I'll consider any animal from any source (well, any animal of at least 1 full HD), but please let me know where the animal's stat block can be found.

Thanks,

Dyllan

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lycantrophic Options

Will you be equalizing ECL? E.g. if one player has a 2 HD animal, and another has a 6 HD animal, the one with 2 HD will have 4 more class levels?

Suggestion: If you are willing to bend the rules a little, turn Lycantophy into one large common disease, which all were-animals suffer from. After being bitten, during the first full moon, the victims will have a dream where they are surrounded by animals (which they are eligible for), and a voice calls them to choose one. They will then become were-versions of the animal they picked. If they do not pick any quickly enough, one random animal will pick them instead and jump onto them.

Let you players know this OOC. And they will pick what they want. This lets you inflict the Lycantophy on your players, but gives them some liberty in choosing their type.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that talking to the players about it would be wise, especially since a lot of players wouldn't want to play as lycan thropes (I'd class it as an annoying hindrance due to hwo I typically play as spellcasters). Just out of curiosity, what will you do if either a player doesn;t want to be infected, or nobody ends up being infected?
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Imp

My only advice is to stick to animals that have equal HD, if only for balance purposes. My suggestion would be 3 HD...that gives you a nice wide selection with nothing too powerful:

Black Bear
    Boar
    Camel
    Cheetah
    Crocodile
    Heavy/Light Horse
    Leopard
    Monitor Lizard
    Mule
    Shark (Medium)
    Constrictor Snake
    Viper (Large)
    Squid
    Wolverine
    Dire Badger
    Dire Weasel

To mention the ones in the MM. I don't think any other number of HD has that many options (though I admit that some are a little odd and/or don't suit the Lycanthrope template, like the Camel, Horses and Mule). You've also got a wide range of different abilities there too...Bear or Boar for Strength, Cheetah and Leopard for Pounce, Croc for amphibious, Viper for poison, etc.

Although casters won't benefit from this idea as much as warrior types, encourage them to choose (if you do allow choice, or assign them if not) an animal form that gives them more options rather than brute force, like the Snakes multiple movement forms or the Cheetahs' Sprint ability.
    I apologise if I come across daft. I'm a bit like that. I also like a good argument, so please don't take offence if I'm somewhat...forthright.

Please be aware; when it comes to 5ed D&D, I own Core (1st printing) and SCAG only. All my opinions and rulings are based solely on those, unless otherwise stated. I reserve the right of ignorance of errata or any other source.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd also suggest making it more generic.
    Have Lycanthropy provide a single +2 bonus to the highest stat(rats Dex, boars Con, Wolves Dex, bears Str, etc, and stuff like wolves and boars, which have a broader spread of stats, gaining a different stat at later HD) for every 4 or 5 HD the character has.
    This means that the entire party is a bit more balanced, and that the casters are less screwed with non-spellcasting HD.
    Spellcasters can always benefit from smaller Dex based animal forms or tough, turtle-ish forms.

If you want to spice it up a bit, make their animal forms have different ability's/ strengths, but don't give anybody some of the insane stuff like pounce or +15 to NA without giving a detraction on the other end(for pounce, a reduction to will saves{it is a cat after all} and the NA{like a turtle} you could have the speed be something like a third of base speed, with buffs only adding a third of their bonus.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

That is a good idea, Wadledo. Some forms could give a +2 mental stat boost instead of physical stats as well.
    "It doesn't matter what you think I'm supposed to be, 'cause I myself know all too well." Line from "King of My World" by Saliva.
    Good itP 2009 winner,Cleric itP Winner.
    Taking Reiki requests. PM me for details.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JellyPooga View Post
    You've also got a wide range of different abilities there too...Bear or Boar for Strength, Cheetah and Leopard for Pounce, Croc for amphibious, Viper for poison, etc.
    Remember: you only get Special Qualities, not Special Attacks.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Remember: you only get Special Qualities, not Special Attacks.
    You do, actually.
    Were-tigers get pounce and rake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Only in animal form (Lycanthropes use Alternate Form, not Change Shape).

Although fighting in animal form tends to get a bit cheesy ... "hey can you put that barding on me after I transform, thx".
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-01-16 at 01:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    You do, actually.
    Were-tigers get pounce and rake.
    Kindasortanotreally.
    Special Attacks

A lycanthrope retains the special attacks of the base creature or base animal, depending on which form it is using, and also gains the special attacks described below.

A lycanthrope’s hybrid form does not gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

But you do have access to them in one of your forms.
    They way you stated it, it sounded like you never got them, which isn't true.
    Since people might want to go completely animal, this is an important thing to remember.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thanks for all the advice.

I want to stick pretty close to the RAW on the mechanics of it, though I may lower or remove the LA, since this isn't by choice.

I also don't plan to warn them first. These will be new characters right at the beginning of a campaign, so it's not like I'm screwing with someone they've had time to build up and become very fond of. Also, I have very understanding players who believe strongly in Rule 0 (you can argue rules, but in the end, what the DM says is law).

I actually don't want to equalize HD. The fighter types will probably get higher HD animals, while the casters get lower ones. That means a bigger boost for the fighters at first, but the casters will progress faster, somewhat making up for that.

I was hoping for some suggestions from other sources. I've been through the MM... and will likely use some of those... but I'd like more variety than it offers. I just don't know where else to go for animal stats.

Dyllan

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dyllan View Post
    *snip*
    Any and all the MM's, the races of *blank* and the environmental books have animals.
    They're everywhere.
    Last edited by wadledo; 2009-01-16 at 01:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wadledo View Post
    Any and all the MM's, the races of *blank* and the environmental books have animals.
    They're everywhere.
    Guess I just need to get home to my library then... and stop trying to plan these things at work.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

It really all depends on how you play the game. Sure, lycanthropy will benefit the big ole warrior types the most, but there are ways to help avoid this. For example, no caster I have ever met turns down free DR.

And there is, of course, playing up the curse angle. I mean reeeeally playing it up. Sure, your party may be filled with incredibly powerful monsters, but what's the point if they can't get into town? They only change once a month, or so. If your party's good/lawful, make giving into the change a chaotic/evil act to represent the beast trying to take control. Borrow a page from 2nd edition and through wolfweres (or equivalent) at them. Send silver-equipped hunters at them. You know, whatever.

Warrior types would probably prefer your typical bruiser types (bear, boar, wolf, whatever). Casters are a bit stranger to look for. Only problem is, if they were to all change at once (full moon) and they're all different animals, wouldn't they all, you know, try to kill each other? It might be easier to simply make them all wolves or other pack/herd animals.

Alternatively, instead of trying to base each form off of class, you could base it off of alignment. For example, if a character is lawful good, have that person turn into a lion (stereotypical 'noble' animal and many a paladin likes it).

Anyway, if you're forcing all the characters to take lycanthropy, I'd say do away with LA, and just adjust your monster encounters. Besides, I'm guessing one of the ultimate goals of this party will be to cure themselves.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

Have a group of four young Wereturtles, all named after famous artists from your campaign world.

Give them levels in Ninja.
    If RPG's have taught me anything, it's that all social and economic problems of the world can be solved through murder.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

RedKnightGirl

I'd make it funny. Like teen wolf!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Altima View Post
    It really all depends on how you play the game. Sure, lycanthropy will benefit the big ole warrior types the most, but there are ways to help avoid this. For example, no caster I have ever met turns down free DR.
    It would take a lot of DR to make up for CL. Also a good type of DR, although silver is good for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Have a group of four young Wereturtles, all named after famous artists from your campaign world.

Give them levels in Ninja.
    And their teacher must be an ancient were-rat named after a small shard of wood.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Were-camels for the win!
    Homebrew Magic Items you might enjoy:
    Coins Tokens of Fortune
    Extra Spicy Peppers
    Also, its time to think about Yeth Hounds in a whole new way

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

for the spellcaster make it so they have access to a feat like the druids have that allow casting in animal form. the players will be like "sure being a were bat might not be so fun but hey i can rain death from above without worrying about them dispelling me!". also if you have any of them with animal companions/ familiers make sure they are all werecreatures that interact well together(for the players to). dont make the sorc a hawk and expect the raven familier to like this.
    wanted:
    signiture to beat all signitures
    (lame jokes need not apply)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

You could always go for a generic (+0 or +1 LA) template, flavored differently for each animal type.

I'll see if I can't come up with an appropriate template for you. Would you prefer +0 LA, or +1?

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

most people wont have a problem being thropes if there is a benefit to it. my DM had a player want to be one so bad the DM had to give all the wererats in this one sewer dentures. but still remember spellcasters will love you if you let them cast in animal form, druids can do it so why not allow them a feat also.(just remember if they want the feat to remind them that anyother werecaster will have access to it to)
    wanted:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Have them become were-elves.

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

being a loyal dwarf fortress player i must now sacrifice your avatar to Amok. sorry no hard feelings just to many of the blighters already without good honest dwarves turning into them.

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN IRONBLOOD!!!
    Last edited by zakk2to2; 2009-01-17 at 12:19 AM.
    wanted:

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zakk2to2 View Post
    being a loyal dwarf fortress player i must now sacrifice your avatar to Amok. sorry no hard feelings just to many of the blighters already without good honest dwarves turning into them.

LONG LIVE CAPTAIN IRONBLOOD!!!

What?

In other news, give them a choice. This both gives the players a chance to further form their characters, and gives you the "You picked it" Excuse when they inevitable complain.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    Were-camels for the win!
    Shupid! Kwi!
    Witness my glory and know that when my darkness fades, if you yet live, it is because an ally does not.

AN EMPTY SPOT WITHIN MY CRAW CRAVES YOUR FLESH, YOUR BONES BLED RAW!
    YOUR FEAR! YOUR FEAR! SO SWEET! SO STRONG! TO TEASE MY TONGUE, YOUR LIVES ARE GONE!
    YOUR ODDS UNFAVORED, MY WEB TOO STRONG! SPEED WON'T NEGATE A LINE STEPPED WRONG!
    YOU DARE? DARE SMITE THIS AWESOME BEAST? YOUR FATES ARE SEALED AS MY NEXT FEAST!
    HEED THIS BECK AND HEAR THIS CALL! FIGHT ME STILL, YOUR WILLS SHALL FALL!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    You could always go for a generic (+0 or +1 LA) template, flavored differently for each animal type.

I'll see if I can't come up with an appropriate template for you. Would you prefer +0 LA, or +1?
    Also known as: shifter race.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Also known as: shifter race.
    Doesn't work with 'acquired' lycanthropy, and also doesn't work with anything that isn't ostensibly human to begin with.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Doesn't work with 'acquired' lycanthropy, and also doesn't work with anything that isn't ostensibly human to begin with.
    A viable argument. However, it's a pretty easy switch. Just tack on the shifting ability to any other race. With the races of ebberon list of traits, you can cover almost every animal you can think of.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show