New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Question [4e] The State of Factions

With the onset of various 2e systems being targeted for redistribution in 4e, as a matter of opinion, where will the Factions be classified? Meaning, at the later part of the 2e era the Faction War forced the restructuring of the existing 15 Factions. A few 2e purists (myself included) attempted to convert the 15 into the 3e and 3.5e structure. But what is the likelihood that the Pre-Faction War Factions will be presented in 4e versus the Post-Faction War Factions?

Seems like everytime I get used to a gaming system, it is uprooted, restructured and redistributed as a replacement.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: [4e] The State of Factions

Quote Originally Posted by agamemenon View Post
    With the onset of various 2e systems being targeted for redistribution in 4e, as a matter of opinion, where will the Factions be classified? Meaning, at the later part of the 2e era the Faction War forced the restructuring of the existing 15 Factions. A few 2e purists (myself included) attempted to convert the 15 into the 3e and 3.5e structure. But what is the likelihood that the Pre-Faction War Factions will be presented in 4e versus the Post-Faction War Factions?
    I don't understand. Do you mean the Factions of Planescape? If not, then I have no idea what setting you're thinking of.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

It would seem that he is referring to Planescape. He should have clarified that.

(Note that I know almost nothing of the setting. I just checked Wikipedia)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Planewalker.com is working on it.

The general trend at the moment is feats (probably along the lines of Chanel Divinity, only "Chanel Belief" abilities specific to each faction rather than each god), probably followed by Paragon Paths (the equivalent of the 3e Prestige Class versions /the more powerful 2e abilties) and Epic Destinies (culminating in "Ascended" status).

That's probably the best take in my view.

Note that Doomguard is a Paragon Path in Manual of the Planes and Mercykiller I think is in one of the new Dragon magazines... both are stripped of all but the most rudimntory flavour however, so they're not really "factions" anymore in the old (and truly awesome) Planescape sense.
    Last edited by Armoury99; 2009-01-21 at 07:56 PM.
    Coming Soon....

Orbis Terrarum RPG: Gritty heroism in a customisable world of secrets, daemons, and strange ecologies...The historical roleplaying game of a make-believe world. Meet us on Facebook, Google Plus, and coming soon to kickstarter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Seems like everytime I get used to a gaming system, it is uprooted, restructured and redistributed as a replacement.
    My suggestion:
    Find a gaming group with people who agree with you and are lead by people who aren't reliant on "official" materials for new adventures. Then keep playing the old edition that you like...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

The "factions" were dissolved after Die Vecna Die. They do not exist as they once were anymore.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

But what is the likelihood that the Pre-Faction War Factions will be presented in 4e versus the Post-Faction War Factions?
    All I know is that the Mercykillers are presented post-War.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.